File in Excel got corrupted or dissapeared

Copper Contributor

Hello, I have been an excel user for 25 years. This had never happened to me. I created a draft of a process map last night and then opened it today to work with a colleague on it over zoom. Out of the sudden the file just dissapeared. I first thought that I had closed it by mistake but I just could not open the darn thing again. I tried to repair it and did not work. I can see the file and the content on the file manager preview pane but just cannot open it and 5 hours of work went down the drain. When I try to open it I get a notification about a potential security concern. When I click on disable, Excel does nothing. I just get a blank screen. If I click on enable, I get another security notice asking me if I should update the external links, whatever I do, I get the same blank screen. And the file does not have any links to any external files. This is really weird.  The file is just 513 Kb´s!! I enclose screen prints. I enclose the file. I do not understand how I can see it on the preview pane perfectly but cannot open it. Help!!!Blank_Screen.pngPreview-VSM.pngSecurity_Notice.pngUnsafe_Links.png

2 Replies

@intercambi You have accidentally hidden your workbook. Click "unhide" (bottom right-hand corner of the first picture) on the view ribbon. Select the workbook and it will re-appear.

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 08.00.30.pngScreenshot 2021-01-08 at 08.00.47.png

Attaching the "unhidden" file for your convenience.

@intercambi 

There are many reasons for this error:

1. Unsaved work

2. Format conversion

3. Merging cells

4. Cell formatting

(external link removed by moderator)