File can't be removed from history

Copper Contributor

A while back, Google Drive on Mac changed so that it loaded up as a separate volume. Now it has been updated again so that it integrates with Finder as a "normal" again. However, I have a file that is showing up when I search for it and it shouldn't be there. The actual file is there and can be opened without any issue. The file that no longer exists can't be modified or deleted as shown in the attached pics. Any way to get rid of that entry from history without deleting all my history?Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 12.53.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-01 at 12.53.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-01 at 12.53.29 PM.png

7 Replies

@Mike McDonald 

Hi

To remove a file from the Recent file list, right-click (control-click) the name of the file and then choose Remove from Recent.

Screenshot 2022-09-01 at 2.34.37 PM.png

It doesn't show up in the recent list, only in All Files as shown in the pic, so there is not an option to remove from recent.
Your screen shot doesn't show which option you've selected in the left panel. Home and Recent both offer the delete file option.
The first screen shot shows that I searched for the word "bills" and that the All Files tab is selected. It doesn't matter which option I've selected on the left side since when I search they both go to the same "search" screen

Hi again,

Thanks for replying. I did not know we were looking at search results. 

Then the original file is no longer at the same location it was when the shortcut was created. In this case, what I recommend you do is wait until your history grows to the point where it gets pushed off the end of the history list.  You can shorten the list, but then you have the potential to lose useful links as well as this one, and you don't know how many to get rid of to make this one go awaay.

Nope, I get this error message

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.53.55 PM.png

The message is self-explanatory. The link to the file will eventually work its way off the list.