Field List in Pivot table not showing

Copper Contributor

Field list is not showing in my pivot table even after clicking show field list. I am using office 365.

21 Replies

@Manuel_John 

Could you attach a copy of the workbook, or make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, ...?

@Hans Vogelaar 

How can I attach the sheet, I can't see any link to attach?

@Manuel_John 

In that case, please upload it to a cloud service such as OneDrive or Google Drive, obtain a link to the uploaded workbook and post the link in a reply.

@Manuel_John 

Weird - I saw the field list immediately when I opened the workbook.

S1285.png

Then it might an issue in my excel setting. I can't even see the status bar at the bottom, I can select sum, count, average but won't show the sum or count when I select the data. Do you have any idea about the setting issue?

@Manuel_John 

Manuel_John_0-1649402616114.png

See the screen shot the pivot table which didn't show the fields though I have selected the field.

@Manuel_John 

Do you have multiple monitors? If so, try disconnecting all except the main one temporarily to see if the field list reappears on the main monitor.

Something else to try:

• Click anywhere in the pivot table.
  • Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.
  • Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window.
  • Type or copy/paste the line shown below.
  • With the insertion point anywhere in that line, press Enter.
  • Press Alt+F4 to close the Visual Basic Editor.
CommandBars("PivotTable Field List").Position = 2
Well, I tried all these options still unsuccessful.

@Manuel_John 

Manuel_John_0-1649415482189.png

Whether any of these properties of the worksheet helps you to find out the problem?

@Manuel_John 

Quit Excel completely.

Hold down the left Ctrl key while you open Excel again.

Excel should ask whether you want to start it in safe mode. Click Yes.

Open the workbook from within Excel.

Can you display the field list now?

If not, try repairing Office.

Great! I can see the fields now after opened in safe mode. Then I closed and open in normal mode, fields disappeared. So what is the issue and how I can resolve permanently rather than opening in safe mode every time. Even I can see the status bar!

@Manuel_John 

If it works in safe mode, the most probable culprit is an add-in.

Select File > Options, then select Add-ins in the navigation pane on the left.

Make a note of which add-ins are listed under Active Application Add-ins.

Near the bottom of the dialog you will see a drop-down list next to Manage.

Select Excel Add-ins from the Manage drop-down, then click Go...

Clear all ticked check boxes, then click OK.

Repeat for all other types in the Manage drop-down (COM Add-ins etc.)

When you're done. check whether you can display the Field List.

If not, this hasn't worked. Reactivate the original add-ins.

But if you see the Field List, now comes the tedious part.

One by one, reactivate the add-ins, and after each one check whether the Field List is still displayed.

If not, you know that the last add-in that you reactivated is the culprit. Deactivate that one again.

I cleared all the Add-ins, but that doesn't works. So what I will do?

@Manuel_John 

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. You might try repairing your Office installation.

Last week I uninstall Office 365 and reinstall the same, that doesn't helps. So you suggesting to repair the Office Installation?

@Manuel_John 

If reinstalling didn't help, I don't think repairing will help either. It's a weird problem!

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated. At least I can workout in safe mode, that's great.
I know this post is old, but I wanted to add to this post as I experienced the exact same issue, but this post did not have the permanent fix. So I found the solution elsewhere. If you cannot view the Pivot Table Field List in normal mode, but are able to view the Pivot Table Field List in safe mode (hold ctrl while opening excel), then this solution should work for you.

Perform the below steps to delete and recreate the configuration file "Excel15.xlb" within Excel's roaming profile.

Close all Excel Files
Navigate to C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel folder.
Delete the Excel15.xlb file (or move to another folder as a backup)
Open up Excel and a new Excel15.xlb should be created in the roaming folder
In Excel, you should now be able to view the Pivot Table Field List.
If you do not see the field list, ensure that the "Show Field List" option is selected by right clicking in the pivot table

If you attempt this solution, be sure to make a backup before deleting any files.