Extrapolating my find and select results

Copper Contributor

I search in a row for specific text in a function; received results, which look correct, but how do I extrapolate the information for the rows it appears in?

1 Reply

@Demetrius219 

If you have used the Find and Select feature in Excel 365 to search for specific text within a row and want to extract the information for the rows in which the text appears, you can use a combination of the INDEX and MATCH functions.

The INDEX function returns the value of a cell in a given range based on its row and column number. The MATCH function searches for a specified item in a range of cells and returns the relative position of the item within the range.

Here’s an example formula that uses INDEX and MATCH to extract the value from column B for rows where the text “apple” appears in column A:

=INDEX(B:B,MATCH("apple",A:A,0))

This formula searches for the text “apple” in column A using the MATCH function and returns the row number where it is found. The INDEX function then uses this row number to return the value from column B in the same row.

You can adjust this formula to suit your specific needs by changing the range references and search criteria. 

Hope its helps!