External References

Copper Contributor

Hoping to get some assistance here as I'm at a loss with the issue I'm experiencing with external references between two working Excel 365 files.

Background info: I have a paid Office 365 subscription which I access through my Chromebook. I do not use the Android app for this; instead, I use the Chrome browser and access my Microsoft account that way. I am working with someone who has shared the folder where the two Excel files we are working in are housed, and he has made sure I am an "owner" of the workbooks. We have two spreadsheets (neither is super complex): one for 2021 and one for 2022. They each have three tabs: Transactions, Accounting calcs, P&L all jobs. Some of the data from 2021 needs to be reflected in 2022, and we need it to auto update as transactions are entered into 2021 (year is not closed yet, unfortunately).

Problem #1: When I create the external reference and use the "Paste Link" function, I get a #CONNECT! error in the cell and in the Workbook Links area it states "Server Error."

Problem #2: When I use "Paste Values" it give me only that specific value from that specific copy/paste -- and does not update as the 2021 sheet is updated.

Problem #3: One solution I have come across on message boards is to change the settings in the Trust Center, which is supposed to be under "File, Options." The only option I have there is for "Regional Format Settings."

I absolutely need this external reference to work so we can have accurate project budget details with every entry. I have searched more message boards than I can even count and even tried Microsoft support. I'm hoping someone in this community has had this issue before and found a solution they'd be willing to share with me.

Tina

0 Replies