Export Data From Power Query into Multiple Excel Sheets based on criteria

Copper Contributor

Please find here below the structure of the data I am working on, I would like to get some help to find a way that when I export the data from Power Query I am able to achieve 2 things.

1) The data for each area ( Column State ) goes into a separate Excel worksheet of the file. I have about 300+ areas so using the reference and add filter at state column may not be a smart way to work.

2) Additionally it would be great that the sheet gets renamed to the area name.

Look forward to some help on this please

Kind Regards

Query.JPG

16 Replies
Which version of Excel are you using?

@DhritimanL 

Unfortunately, PowerQuery doesn't support output of one query to multiple sheets.

If your version of Excel supports Dynamic Arrays and the FILTER function, you can use this code:

Option Explicit

Public Sub SplitTableToSheets()

Dim full_data_listobject As ListObject
Dim selected_range As Range
Dim selected_data As Variant
Dim selected_data_header As String
Dim items_sheet As Worksheet
Dim items_range As Range
Dim item As String
Dim i As Integer
Dim new_item_sheet As Worksheet

DeleteSheetWithoutWarning "items"

Set full_data_listobject = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("full data").ListObjects(1)

' get the range currently selected
Set selected_range = Selection
selected_data_header = Selection.Offset(-1, 0).Cells(1, 1)

Set items_sheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Add

items_sheet.Name = "items"

selected_range.Copy

items_sheet.Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlValues

Set items_range = items_sheet.Range("A1").CurrentRegion

items_range.RemoveDuplicates 1, xlNo

'loop through each item and create a new sheet with the filtered data
For i = 1 To items_range.Rows.Count
    If items_range.Cells(i, 1) <> "" Then
        item = items_range.Cells(i, 1)

DeleteSheetWithoutWarning item

Set new_item_sheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Add

With new_item_sheet
            .Name = item
            .Range("A1").Formula2 = "=" & full_data_listobject.Name & "[#Headers]"
            .Range("A2").Formula2 = "=FILTER(" & full_data_listobject.Name & _
                                            "," & full_data_listobject.Name & "[" & selected_data_header & "] = """ & item & """)"

''optionally uncomment these two lines to paste the results as values in the destination sheet
            '.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Copy
            '.Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
        End With

Else
        Exit For
    End If
Next i

End Sub

Private Sub DeleteSheetWithoutWarning(sheet_name As String)

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
On Error Resume Next
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(sheet_name).Delete
On Error GoTo 0
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub

Select a column in your data that contains the items you want to split by, then run the SplitTableToSheets sub-procedure.

splittabletosheets.gif

The benefit of this is that it will keep the sub-sheets up to date when the data on the main sheet refreshes.

You can test it with my dataset using the attached file.

If this doesn't work for you because you don't have access to the FILTER function, let me know. There are other ways to do it.

@OwenPrice 

Thank you the help.

I am using office 365 and am able to use Dynamic arrays. I tried using your sample sheet on my system and seem to have run into a error here.

I am not VBA aware, sharing here with you the debug screen shot for runtime error 1004.

Do please help further on this.

Kind Regards

Dhritiman

Debug 1.JPG

@DhritimanL 

Please make sure you have selected just the data rows in the column and not the entire column. It should be like this (i.e. the header is not selected):

OwenPrice_0-1595253082284.png

To do this, you hover your cursor over the column header until you see the black arrow to select the column, then select and it will just select the data and not the header.

This is wrong (entire column is selected):

OwenPrice_1-1595253103785.png

Please try this and let me know how you get on.

@OwenPrice 

Thank you. Works just the way its expected.

Much Appreciated.

Kind regards

Dhritiman

@OwenPrice 

Thanks I am lucky to find your solution here, I also have this problem.

I tried your solution, however, I have 1 column is Date format, in your coding, the result will change to value format, do you know how to make it remain the same with original sheet? thanks.

I have tried your code and keep getting an error 9 Subscript Out of Range
on this line
Set full_data_listobject = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("full data").ListObjects(1)
I have 1 sheet names full data and I have selected a column without the header name
Any Ideas
Nicely done, but for me this code is very very buggy.
1. I had to comment out all of the code related to deleting the "Items" sheet without warning because it won't run as is, even when directly trying to run it in an untouched version of your example file.
2. I'm wondering if it would be better to set the range with code rather than select the range of items to split into individual worksheets, especially for a situation where you simply want to refresh a Power Query with new data, but always use the same column for the items you want to split out?
3. In the last sheet that gets created, the range of data is still selected. Would be good to release the variables at the end of the run.
Thank you.
Make sure you didn't uncomment the Paste Values part of the code at the end of the section below:

With new_item_sheet
.Name = item
.Range("A1").Formula2 = "=" & full_data_listobject.Name & "[#Headers]"
.Range("A2").Formula2 = "=FILTER(" & full_data_listobject.Name & _
"," & full_data_listobject.Name & "[" & selected_data_header & "] = """ & item & """)"

''optionally uncomment these two lines to paste the results as values in the destination sheet
.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Copy
.Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
End With

@AW65 Are you sure it's an untouched version? I just downloaded the file from the thread and the code ran without problem. I also ran it twice in a row and it worked without problem. Perhaps you have different macro security settings in your application? 

When I run the macro, the range is not still selected at the end. Just cell A1 of the most recently produced sheet.

@OwenPrice 

I just downloaded and tried to run the file as is.  It goes immediately to Debug: 

Private Sub DeleteSheetWithoutWarning(sheet_name As String)

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
On Error Resume Next
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(sheet_name).Delete
On Error GoTo 0
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

you saved my life I love you, you a re a genius, thanks for sharing this @OwenPrice 

@OwenPrice  This is great! However at work we have an older version of excel, how hard would it be to get this to work or something similar. I actually need it to save new files to a new workbook instead of as worksheets in the same book.......

This is just what I needed! Works like a charm exactly as downloaded.
I will adapt for my precise use case but you've saved me quite some time - thanks @OwenPrice

@GDTaylor I keep getting this error even with fixing that line. His sample works, that means my excel can support the macro.

I keep getting "Run-time error '9':

Subscript out of range" and it takes me to

Set full_data_listobject = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("full data").ListObjects(1)