Export CSV documents error

Copper Contributor

I am having issues to upload a file in CSV format, when I save it and another person/system opens the file they get a document fill of dots and commas and they can't change it. 

9 Replies

@Paulagiron1 

NEVER open a CSV file with Excel. ALWAYS import the CSV file via Power Query.

Within PQ you can change the datatype as it fits your locale.

@Paulagiron1 

The csv file uses semicolon as separator.

If the recipient uses comma as list separator, all data will be dumped into the first column.

Solution: change the file extension from .csv to .txt.

When the recipient opens the .txt file, Excel will display the Text Import Wizard.

Select Delimited, then click Next.

Select Semicolon, then click Finish.

but if I have to upload it to a system that requests CSV document file it tells me there is an error with the file and doesn't recognized and it's not excel it is an upload, will this help?
Thank you, yes that's what we normally do but I have to upload it into a system that doesn't recognized the file and the system requires CSV file... don't know how to do it because it's only me getting this issue when saving it as CSV

@Paulagiron1 

Either change your system settings to use point as decimal separator and comma as list separator, or change the delimiters in Excel:

• Select File > Options.
  • Select Advanced.
  • In the Editing options section, clear the check box 'Use system separators', then specify point as decimal separator and comma as thousands separator.
  • Click OK.

CSV files that you save from now on should use comma as separator.

@Paulagiron1 

As variant you may add in front

image.png

perhaps your system will recognize it. In Excel if open initial file

image.png

if open the file with sep=;

image.png

Not all version of Excel and not all other systems support sep definition, even it is in CSV standard, but you may try.

the sep=; should go on the name?
I will change this and try, thank you

@Paulagiron1 

sep=;

shall the first line in the file. Most probably you need to add it manually in Notepad or so.

Please check in attached file.