Excell changes cell value after sending it to another user

Copper Contributor

Hello to all! 

Please help, I have made an spreadsheet with certain cell value - dates. When I send this excel workbook to another user via email, the recipient says that the cell values have changed into something that is not date nor it is some sort of a date, just some numbers. 

What to do?

Cells are formatted as dates. When I format the cell as text, it also changes values..... I do not know what to do to stop excel in changing cell values. thx in advance. 

fps

4 Replies

@FPS_croatia 

Dates in Excel are actually sequential numbers starting from 1 which is 01 Jan, 1900. If you apply General or Number format to the date, you also see the number. Thus the workaround is to apply date format again. However, it's strange that Excel reformat dates. Are you on same version of Excel with your recipient? 

@Sergei Baklan 

thx for the answer. Not sure about the versions, I will check it. 

however, I format the cells before sending it or sharing it via cloud,  they see some random numbers...they are in the same time zone, but a different country. 

Now I made the dates in the cell with the ` sign, should be alright as a workaround, but that is not the solution if I would like to share excel document with some other people in the future. 

@FPS_croatia 

At least you are both on Excel Desktop or on Excel Online?

Desktop.....both of us.