Excell Changed after Update version 1703 for Windows 10 - Macros no longer run

Copper Contributor

I am using Excel 2007. This morning I installed the Windows 10 upgrade 1703. Now the VBA in my Excel spreadsheets is blocked from running. I get the message "Cannot run the macro 'macro name'. The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled." I get the same result no matter which macros I run. 

Checking the VBA editor, all macros are present in the document. VBA routines don't run via the editor. The "Design Mode" control is yellowed out and gives me the same kind of protection message when clicked. 

I checked the permissions in the Trust Center and trusted locations only to find they are still the same as they have been for the past years. I also search the Windows 10 settings to see if there is another setting which might be new to this upgrade. I find none. 

Any suggestions?

6 Replies

If you have already rebooted you could try:

• Check for any missing references in VBA Tools -> References
  • Make sure your PERSONAL workbook is saved in .xlsb format
  • Repair Office

The reference file has these items checked; VB for Applications, MS Excel 12 Obj Lib, OLE Automation, MS Office 12 Obj Lib, and MS XML, v6.0. Seems like all the excel applications are covered. Then there is the Personal.xlsb file. I did not have one so I created one. Macro loaded in it runs fine, but my others do not.

None of this worked. I'll try the repair. 

The repair did not work. I did get an error on a missing PIA but I see the association is with outlook which I do not use. I keep thinking it is a setting I am missing. 

I'm in uncharted territory now.

It seems strange that you can run the macro in PERSONAL.xlsb but no others.

If you can get into one of your non-functioning projects, try compiling it and see what happens.

Also check your ActiveX settings in the trust centre.

Thanks for the feedback. If I start a new sheet and create VBA, that code runs so it is some quirk in my existing sheets. I think what I will do is strip out the code, save the file as an xlsx, and then build it back in and save it as an xlsm. We'll see what happens. 

I rebuilt the sheet, first copying all VBA to a text editor, then stripping all macros and buttons, then saving as an xlxs, then saving back as an xlxm, adding macros and buttons back in. All works as it originally did. 

The key telltale of the problem is the "Design Mode" button in "Developer". When the problem was present in the sheet that button had a yellow background. Saving the sheet to an xlxs and then back to an xlsm flipped it so the background was not yellow any longer. 

Obviously some quirk in the file. Other macro enabled files worked fine but this sheet had heavy VBA code. I hope this helps someone else.