Excel

Copper Contributor

When I try to type in an excel document, the system throws me out of excel totally.  I've used this document for 8 years. It was fine yesterday, but today whether I type a number or a letter nothing shows in the cell and I'm kicked out of the program immediately.

Even stranger is that I can type in any other excel doc as long as I haven't opened the "problem doc" yet.  If I open the "problem doc" first - the same thing happens in all my other excel docs, I'm kicked out.

Suggestions?  Please help.

1 Reply

@Lynne2181 

Here are some steps maybe you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Restart Your Computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches or memory issues that may be causing Excel to crash.

2. Open Excel in Safe Mode: Try opening Excel in safe mode to see if the issue persists. Safe mode disables add-ins and customizations, which can help identify if the problem is related to any third-party add-ins or customizations:

• Close all instances of Excel.
    • Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box.
    • Type excel /safe and press Enter.
    • Open the problematic Excel document and try typing again to see if the issue persists.

3. Disable Add-ins: If the problem persists in safe mode, it could be caused by a problematic add-in. Try disabling add-ins one by one to identify the culprit:

• Open Excel normally.
    • Go to the "File" tab and select "Options."
    • In the Excel Options dialog box, select "Add-Ins" from the left sidebar.
    • At the bottom of the window, next to "Manage," make sure "Excel Add-ins" is selected and click on the "Go" button.
    • Uncheck one add-in at a time, then restart Excel and try typing in the problematic document to see if the issue persists. Repeat this process until you identify the problematic add-in.

4. Check for Updates: Ensure that both Excel and Windows are up to date with the latest updates and patches. Sometimes, updates can address known issues that may be causing crashes.

5. Repair Office Installation: If the issue persists, try repairing your Office installation to fix any corrupted files or settings:

• Close all Office applications.
    • Go to "Control Panel" > "Programs" > "Programs and Features."
    • Right-click on "Microsoft Office" (or "Microsoft 365") and select "Change."
    • Choose "Repair" and follow the on-screen instructions to repair the installation.

6. Check for File Corruption: The Excel document itself may be corrupted. Try opening the document on another computer or try opening a backup version of the document to see if the issue persists. If the issue only occurs with this specific document, it may be corrupted and need to be restored from a backup or recreated.

7. Check for System Errors: Use system diagnostic tools to check for any underlying system errors or issues that may be affecting Excel's performance.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's possible that there may be deeper underlying issues with your Excel installation or system configuration. In that case, you may need to contact Microsoft support for further assistance. The text was created with the help of AI.

If the problem persists, you may need to give more informtions. In this link you will find how to give more information about it: Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.