SOLVED

Excel

Copper Contributor

I created a log to use to keep track of medical treatments.  I used a feature that I am not sure how I activated it, but it did what I needed for the lines. I darkened the right line of the cells with a dark line to keep the columns better separated by using a click+ pencil that showed on the mouse. I don't know what I did to do that. Usually I just use a drop down box on the home tab that is above the word FONT.

Now the mouse has a white plus sign instead of the normal arrow and I can't get rid of it.

Also when I tried to print the log, the document does not appear on the print preview. 

I tried closing Excel and reopening the file, but it didn't erase the problem. Any suggestions?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@leeannstone1231 

It sounds like you accidentally activated the "Draw Border" feature in Excel, which is why you are seeing the white plus sign cursor and the darkened lines in your worksheet. To deactivate this feature and return to the normal cursor, follow these steps:

1. Deactivate Draw Border Feature:
    • Click on the "Draw Border" button on the Excel ribbon. This button usually looks like a pencil or a pen icon.
    • Once you have clicked it, you should return to the normal cursor, and the darkened lines should disappear.
  2. Print Preview Issue:
    • If you are experiencing issues with the print preview not showing your document, it could be due to various reasons.
    • First, make sure that the print area is correctly set up. You can do this by going to the "Page Layout" tab and clicking on "Print Area." Ensure that your log is within the print area boundaries.
    • Next, check if you have any print filters applied. If so, clear the filters to make sure all data is visible.
    • Also, verify your print settings by going to "File" > "Print." Check the settings such as the printer selection, page range, and other print options.
    • If you still cannot see your document in print preview, it's possible that there could be a problem with your Excel installation or file. Try opening a different Excel file or restarting Excel and see if the issue persists.

If you continue to experience problems after following these steps, consider checking for any Excel updates or repairing your Office installation. Additionally, you might want to create a backup of your Excel file and open it on another computer to see if the issue is specific to your computer or the file itself. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark them as helpful and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@NikolinoDE 

Thank you. This helps.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@leeannstone1231 

It sounds like you accidentally activated the "Draw Border" feature in Excel, which is why you are seeing the white plus sign cursor and the darkened lines in your worksheet. To deactivate this feature and return to the normal cursor, follow these steps:

1. Deactivate Draw Border Feature:
    • Click on the "Draw Border" button on the Excel ribbon. This button usually looks like a pencil or a pen icon.
    • Once you have clicked it, you should return to the normal cursor, and the darkened lines should disappear.
  2. Print Preview Issue:
    • If you are experiencing issues with the print preview not showing your document, it could be due to various reasons.
    • First, make sure that the print area is correctly set up. You can do this by going to the "Page Layout" tab and clicking on "Print Area." Ensure that your log is within the print area boundaries.
    • Next, check if you have any print filters applied. If so, clear the filters to make sure all data is visible.
    • Also, verify your print settings by going to "File" > "Print." Check the settings such as the printer selection, page range, and other print options.
    • If you still cannot see your document in print preview, it's possible that there could be a problem with your Excel installation or file. Try opening a different Excel file or restarting Excel and see if the issue persists.

If you continue to experience problems after following these steps, consider checking for any Excel updates or repairing your Office installation. Additionally, you might want to create a backup of your Excel file and open it on another computer to see if the issue is specific to your computer or the file itself. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark them as helpful and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

View solution in original post