SOLVED

Excel

Copper Contributor

Suddenly my PC no longer has color populated through out Excel (or Word or Publisher for that matter) and no color is populated on my Windows Apps page.   Can't figure out where it all went.  I downloaded Officer 36 twice and tried some other display options, but nothing affects a change when opening the documents.  Everything remains in black and white.  What can you suggest.

13 Replies
best response confirmed by 4Dancers2020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@4Dancers2020 

If I may ask, is it only in the office that no more colors are refilled?
Which operating system do you have?
To find out which version of Windows your PC is running, press Windows logo key + R and type winver in the Open box. Then select OK. To find out more: Select the Start> Settings> System> Info button (only if the OS is windows).

If this is only the case in Excel, I recommend that you insert a file (without sensitive data) into the problem that appears to you.

But if the problem occurs in all applications, I recommend that you carry out a Windows repair or update.

Use a fix-it tool with Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-a-fix-it-tool-with-windows-10-cc3cb85b-91d7-7e56-8ce...

Windows 10 Update Assistant

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

Thank you for your understanding and patience

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here

@NikolinoDE

Thank you for kindly responding to my problem.  

I have Windows OS

Edition Window 10 Home

Version 20H2  OS 

I followed your excellent instructions; ran the fixit tool and tested both word and excel, however I did not get a change in the issue which is affected through out my whole Office Suite.  

I re installed 365 Personal twice (purchased in April 2019 and worked fine. )and it executed, but remains the same.  Hope you can help. 

@4Dancers2020 

Can you please describe the problem to me exactly?
Where is no color to be seen?
In the text sheet, worksheet, ect. , or also on the control bars of Office applications?
Could you insert a file (with no sensitive data) or a picture where the problem can be seen?

Nikolino

In the meantime, try this option too. Has the "high contrast" been set in the input help? Please click on START-CONTROL PANEL-INPUT ASSISTANCE and here switch to the DISPLAY tab. For HIGH CONTRAST, deactivate the ACTIVATE CONTRAST option. Confirm this change with APPLY and then click OK. As a next step I can suggest that you deactivate hardware acceleration in Office applications. First, go to the File tab. Then select the "Options" and then "Advanced". Go to the "Display" section under "Advanced" and deactivate the Hardware graphics acceleration option. Thank you again for your patience and time. Nikolino I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE I will do my best to explain.  All icons below the bar are in color EXCEPT the Windows Icon which is black and white.  When I click to open a program supported by windows (like Excel, Word, Publisher) the only place that color shows up is in the upper bar of Excel for Text and Cell color.  However the option to use the color within the cell of excel, or publisher or word will not apply (or populate) to use within the document.  Oh - my printer picks up color, but it can't be seen on the screen in excel.

I use Excel for my budget and color code the cells.  The cells won't operate to change or apply color.

I use Publisher for my desktop creations for business cards and personal cards.

I use Word to type correspondence and many time to copy and paste photos of my crafts.

I did get three MS techs in a chat and the last one guessed that the problem is within the icons, but I don't know.  They were suppose to let me know in an e-mail what action to take, but no response has come back in days.  I will try to send an attachment file.

@4Dancers2020 

I added colors to the cells in your file, can you see them? (B6, B8, B10, B14,, B20, B24, B28, B31, B36).

With under the bar, do you mean the Windows bar? (horizontal at the bottom of the screen) or the Excel bar? (Horizontal at the top of the screen).

Ps. Have you tried the contrast settings?

@4Dancers2020 

Check in your Windows setting if color filter is on.

image.png

With grayscale it'll be no colors.

@NikolinoDE 

Yes by saying "under the bar" I do mean the windows bar where you can "pin to start" an icon.

I have tried the settings you suggested (which I did try several times before) and that didn't fix the problem.

Also, when I tried to turn on/off High Contrast a pop up window displayed "this them can't be applied to the desk top".

@4Dancers2020 

A difficult birth.

We are slowly approaching the problem :).

As far as I understand, please correct if it is not. Is everything black and white on your PC (Windows 10)? If so, did this happen after you loaded Office? ... or another application?

Here, however, Mr Sergei Baklan proposal should actually solve your problem.

Is the problem only on the Windows system tray?

Can you insert a picture to illustrate it to us?

Enclosed additional information for any changes to your settings.

Change desktop background and colors

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-desktop-background-and-colors-176702ca-8e24-393b-...

Nikolino

@NikolinoDE 

Around the time I installed an update of Drivers One, that is when I believe the problem began.  It took me awhile to figure out which came first (the chicken or the egg) Windows or Driver One.  I just finished uninstalling Driver one and restarting my PC.  No change.   As I stated before, I did download Office 365 three times and this didn't affect the Office Suite programs.

I am inserting a photo to show what my Office start up page looks like with black and white icons and another copy of what excel still looks like.  Don't be fooled by the color in Excel in the upper frame as it will not apply to the cells - however if I do apply a color it will show AFTER printing the excel sheet.

Thank you for sticking with me on this - I'm about to get another PC because I don't know what else I can do.  

@4Dancers2020 

Oh, by the way " I really don't know anything"  

THANK YOU.

@4Dancers2020 

The Windows settings should actually be what Mr. Sergei Baklan recommended. In addition, I could recommend this to you.

* Please make sure that the settings are as recommended by Mr.Sergei Baklan.

Windows 10 - other causes of black and white screen If the screen remains black and white despite switching off the color filter, you can also follow these points:

Make sure

that you have installed all Windows updates.

Download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Check the color settings on your monitor and in the settings of your graphics card.

Check the monitor cable and replace it if necessary.

If that doesn't help either, as a last resort, set the recovery point in Windows before updating OneDrive (as you have described).

Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4089834/windows-10-troubleshoot-problems-updating?ocid=20SM...

Hope any of these pieces of information will help you to a final solution.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Nikolino

I knows that I know nothing (Socrates)

I knows that I know nothing (Socrates) sounds munch more intriguing
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by 4Dancers2020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@4Dancers2020 

If I may ask, is it only in the office that no more colors are refilled?
Which operating system do you have?
To find out which version of Windows your PC is running, press Windows logo key + R and type winver in the Open box. Then select OK. To find out more: Select the Start> Settings> System> Info button (only if the OS is windows).

If this is only the case in Excel, I recommend that you insert a file (without sensitive data) into the problem that appears to you.

But if the problem occurs in all applications, I recommend that you carry out a Windows repair or update.

Use a fix-it tool with Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-a-fix-it-tool-with-windows-10-cc3cb85b-91d7-7e56-8ce...

Windows 10 Update Assistant

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here

View solution in original post