Excel

Copper Contributor

When I try to enter data into a cell the cell prompt jumps to another cell. It's the same on all my workbooks and a new spreadsheet. How do I correct it?

4 Replies

@eosman 

If I may suggest, It's always good to add your operating system and Excel version.

If you press the "Enter" key in Excel after entering values or characters in a cell, the cell selection automatically moves on. In the standard setting this will be the cell below. This "jump direction" can be changed manually if necessary.

In the "Tools" menu, click on "Options" and then on the "Edit" tab. Under the "Settings" entry you will find the option "Move highlighting after pressing Enter". Activate the option, if not already done, with a tick.

In the selection menu on the right, you can now specify the direction in which the cell marking should jump, "Down", "Right", "Up" or "Left". Other interesting settings can also be made on this tab, for example you can specify a fixed number of decimal places for your numerical values.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Hi Nikolino,
Have tried that advice but no change. As soon as I enter data into a cell H6 in particular, the cursor jumps further down the spreadsheet and no data is shown in H6. Regards Eosman

@eosman 

With your permission, if I can recommend, It can help us all if you upload an Excel file (without sensitive data), no picture. So you could get a precise solution much faster. This would also be a blessing for us, as we can understand the problem much better, a win-win situation for everyone.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)