SOLVED

Excel XY Scatter plot - secondary vertical axis

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to add a secondary vertical axis to an XY (Scatter) graph?

This would be extremely useful for plotting 2 sets of y-values (with different ranges of values) for the same set of x-values on the same graph.

You would have 1 graph with a different y-axis on the left & right side of the graph.

All the examples seem to be for Combo - Clustered Column - Line, but not the XY Scatter.

Is this possible?

17 Replies
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@JohnV2021 

Click on the chart.

Click on the second series, or select it from the Chart Elements dropdown on the Format tab of the ribbon (under Chart Tools).

Click 'Format Selection' on the Format tab.

S0486.png

Select 'Secondary axis' on the 'Format Data Series' task pane.

S0487.png

That's all!

Example, before and after changing the axis:

Before.pngAfter.png

Awesome! I got it to work with your help. Thanks so much! :)
I do not get XY Chart
I get I straight line from just First and last item
do not get scater chart for the entire month

@jon123 

Please provide more detailed information. Could you attach a sample workbook (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar? Thanks in advance.

@Hans Vogelaar 

jon123_0-1654009116651.png

notice first day is the lowest and goes straight across to highest date

jon123_1-1654009190121.png

here is the data

@jon123 

Has the header row containing the word Date been included in the range for the x-axis labels? I notice that the dates along the x-axis start in 1900...

Yes, I highlighed A4 to C38

@jon123 

Change it to A5:C38

@jon123 

Could you attach a sample workbook (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar? Thanks in advance.

That was a sample of data & sample chart

@jon123 

I'd still like to see a copy of the workbook itself.

@Hans Vogelaar 

jon123_1-1654221642983.png

@jon123 

Thanks. I should have seen it in your screenshots, but having the workbook made it easier. Cell A13 contains an incorrect date:

S1483.png

Once you correct that, the chart will look as intended,

@Hans Vogelaar is there any update to this with Office 365?    I am facing the same problem, but the Secondary Axis is no longer visible in the way described in this incident.

@rvc23 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@JohnV2021 

Click on the chart.

Click on the second series, or select it from the Chart Elements dropdown on the Format tab of the ribbon (under Chart Tools).

Click 'Format Selection' on the Format tab.

S0486.png

Select 'Secondary axis' on the 'Format Data Series' task pane.

S0487.png

That's all!

Example, before and after changing the axis:

Before.pngAfter.png

View solution in original post