Excel worksheets help

Copper Contributor

Hi

Help I have 10 worksheets on Excel which I have created using the add tab function so they each have a named tab on the main work sheet page and have spent months in putting data on each of them. I added another tab today and created a table for a project I am doing, completed it and saved it and closed excel down, Not knowing much about Excel I opened my master worksheet to find that all my saved tabs have been over written with the last table I created ! hope this makes sense they are ruined what has happened ? and is there away to rectify the situation ? I hope so, hoping someone can help me thx for reading.   

4 Replies

@Greg104 

Did you perhaps inadvertently select all sheets before creating the table? If you see [Group] after the file name in the title bar, you have selected multiple sheets.

If your workbook is saved on OneDrive, you should be able to go back to a previous version: select File > Info > Version History.

If your workbook is saved locally, and if you are on Windows:

• Right-click the workbook in File Explorer.
  • Select Properties from the context menu.
  • Activate the Previous Versions tab and wait a few seconds for it to populate.
  • If you see a recent version from before you messed things up, you can open or copy it.
  • Otherwise, a recent backup is your only hope.

If you are on a Mac, I believe it has a similar feature - Time Machine or something like that.

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thx for your quick response Hans.

I am on windows 10 and not an excel expert ! I have tried what you have suggested and no previous versions available when I closed excel i saved changes ! I am so upset is there no hope at all ? I dont make back ups unless windows 10 carries out a backup

@Greg104 

If you haven't made backups, I fear that your work is lost.

I strongly recommend making backups regularly from now on.

You may also want to turn on File History - see How to Turn On File History in Windows 10 

Ok Hans I'm Gutted thanks for your help
all the best