Excel Workbook (.xlsb) Crashes On New Computer and Latest Update

Copper Contributor

Hello

For my job we have an Excel workbook (.xlsb Microsoft Excel Binary Worksheet) that we use for our reports. I recently got a new computer running Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus Version 1912. When I open the workbook, that I was previously able to open on my old computer, I get a Security Warning that states "Some active content has been disabled. Click for more details." As well as a button to Enable Content. If I click on Enable Content Excel will crash. If I do not, and try to work, all of the functionality of the workbook does not work. 

I had a colleague try to open the file on their computer, running Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 and it works. Oddly the only difference is that they are on Version 1911. 

I never had this issue with my previous computer. 

I have spent an entire day trying to search for a solution to this problem and cannot find anything, even our in-house IT guy has been unable to diagnose the problem. I am desperate at this point for any solution as I am not able to do my work without this file functioning correctly. There is a lot of functionality built in that I do not understand and takes forever to do without the automation.

7 Replies
This is very hard to trouble-shoot without having access to the workbook in question. I am willing to give it a go if you email it to me. You may find my email address at the bottom of each page of my website https://jkp-ads.com

@Jan Karel Pieterse  Was there ever any resolution to this? I am having the same exact issue. 

@rnduser No, I never received a file.

@Jan Karel Pieterse Would I be able to respond with a file with a similar issue?

This issue started up over the weekend, first on my desktop and one other user's computer, and this morning it started on my laptop. I maintain a design tool in excel, with multiple iterations over the past 2+ years. Starting this weekend, none of the files are able to be opened, even the oldest ones from years ago. I can send you the file if that is helpful in diagnosing the issue.

I have tried the following steps:
- Uninstall and reinstall Office, as well as repair
- Save the file multiple times from a computer where it works, and send it to myself

- Open the file in Protected View: If calculations are set to automatic it will still crash, but it will work if calculations are set to manual before opening the file in question.
- I have saved the file as a .xlsm instead of .xlsb, and then the file does work successfully.

- Upon re-saving this file back to .xlsb format, it crashes upon opening again

One thing I noticed this morning is that when I open the Object browser for the .xlsb version, it will say "Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found." 

My laptop updated again this morning, and it began to crash after that update. I reverted the updates and the file didn't crash, until an Intel Graphics driver was installed. I reverted the driver after that error returned, but it still will not work. From my bit of googling, I am wondering if the above findings indicate there is some sort of issue with VBA, or the graphics driver?

Any help would be immensely appreciated; if this issue becomes much more widespread it will drastically affect our ability to work effectively.

Thank you,

-Chris B

I have also tried repairing the Visual C++ that is installed on my two computers, to no avail.
I'd love to see the file. See my website for my email address.

Hey @Christopher_Bahr - can you please consider Sending us a Frown once Excel reboots (post-crash) and including your email in the feedback? Our user feedback telemetry now has the ability to process crash info. from the prior session, hence asking. 

thanx,

Prash