Excel workbook search issue

Copper Contributor

When searching a spread sheet that has several tabs I always use the "find" feature and set it to search the entire workbook. Sometimes, however, it just returns a result of "not found" even when I know for sure that the line is on the spreadsheet. Strange thing is that everything will work fine at first and then for no apparent reason it will not find anything. Does anyone have a clue as to what can cause this?

5 Replies

@Glenn_Logue 

If necessary, click "Options >>" in the Find and Replace dialog.

Your search results may be restricted if the check box "Match case" and/or "Match entire cell contents" is ticked.

And results may differ depending on whether Formulas or Values is selected in the "Look in" drop-down.

Yep. Checked all that. No settings changed and it is the same style data that I search for everyday, all day. But thanks for the input!

@Glenn_Logue 

Are you searching for numbers or times? If so, precision might cause the problem: if you see 0.5 in a cell, its actual value might be 0.500000000000001 or 0.499999999999999

I search for case numbers that are a unique identifier for these medical files. EX: AS2201234
They are in a certain cell on the spreadsheets. Like I said previously, it will be working fine for a while and then all of a sudden it cannot find anything even though I can see the case number on the spread sheet right in front of me.

@Glenn_Logue 

I'm afraid I don't have an explanation for that.