SOLVED

Excel workbook remains corrupted after trying all repair options

Copper Contributor

Ideapad Laptop/Windows 10 Home version 20H2

Microsoft® Excel® 2016 MSO (Version 2109 Build 16.0.14430.20154) 32-bit

Excel tab accidentally closed by action on another tab. Have tried all repair options I could Google. Online free repair options all seem to lead to payment requests- as a pensioner trying to avoid payments!!! - could I trouble someone who can repair for me please? I would be so grateful. Many thanks - Roger

12 Replies

@RogWyer Hi. I downloaded the file (as it was an xlsX) and opened it using Data: From Text/CSV.

Copy and paste data to a new file to disconnect.

Formatted as table; Insert: Table for your convenince in managing the data.

In case your version of Excel do not like Tables, it is also attached vith the data "as a Range".

@bosinander 

Thank you so much for your speedy response- very grateful and much appreciated. I do have one problem though probably due to my lack of skills but I tried to copy data from files you sent. When I pasted into a virgin  worksheet, whichever paste method I used, text came out concatenated in four rows. Is it me being silly? Roger

@RogWyer Hi Roger. I wrote a longer answer before but it seems lost in cyberspace so I just attach two text files that should be possible to use. Open from inside Excel or copy and paste from notepad or similar text program.

One is csv and one is tab separated text.

best response confirmed by RogWyer (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Brilliant - thank you so much. To still have the data after all the time spent researching is a relief. You are so kind doing what you do to help people - thank you - Roger

@bosinander I need help with one file. Can you help me?

Maybe. What is the problem?

@bosinander 

Alexdbiz_0-1700501505980.png

Excel can open the file because the format or extension is not valid. Check if the file is corrupt or if the extension corresponds to the format of the file.

I can send the file but I don't know how to add it here.

Alex

Try to import the data into a new file using Data: get Data: From File and see if you get your data back.
Then, consider the datas sensitiveness since I suggest try by sending it to someone elses server. If data is not too secret;
- Have you tried to open with Excel 365 "in the cloud"
- Also, try to open the file with Google Sheets - (always cloud).
Hi,
I've tried all. No one worked, unfortunately. Same msg, File corrupted.
Any other suggestion?
Alex
Sorry - not for that file :'(
If it was saved on onedrive/sharepoint there may be a possibility to go back to a previous version (You'ld probably already tested that in case it was possible).
Possibly but unlikely a completely different program like BI appllications QlikView or Qlik Sense could read only the data and don't bother about crashed conditional formatting or similar. Qlik is just one possibility. microsoft Power BI is probably too close to Excel but may be worth trying. Also other BI programs that have the possibility to load directly from Excel files.

I have been in the same situation soo many times and started to use F12 (Save as) to add a timestamp to the file like every ten minutes.
Some times I also add a note on what I am working on at the moment, or what I am about to start to do so I have a version to go back to in case I would like to.
MyWork_231122_1248.xlsx
MyWork_231122_1252 to be newSumByCol.xlsx
MyWork_231122_1259.xlsx
MyWork_231122_1317 golden master.xlsx
MyWork_231122_1333 delivered.xlsx

Using a notation like YYMMDD the files will be sortable also by names.
Thanks a lot. I will use the last version from July. Have a blessed week.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RogWyer (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Brilliant - thank you so much. To still have the data after all the time spent researching is a relief. You are so kind doing what you do to help people - thank you - Roger

View solution in original post