Excel won't open any files

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Excel 365 on my windows 10 computer.

I can open Excel normally, and work on it, and I can save my files, but after rebooting my computer, any previously saved files won't open anymore, I can't open any downloaded files either. If I try to double click directly on a file, excel's splash screen will show up for a brief moment and immediately close itself, If instead I try opening excel and then try to open a file from inside excel it will first open the file and for a brief moment, show it's contents for a split-second, then it will just show a blank screen, If I try again, it says the file is corrupt and freezes, after that, I can't open excel anylonger it will just start loading and then immediatelly close itself.

I tested some files in another computer with Office 2013 installed, and it opened normally, I can also open any of those files with office mobile or inside the web viewer, so there's clearly no problem with any of those files.

I tried going to control panel > Programs and Resources, and tried both forms of repair available for office, I tried opening excel in safe mode, disabling all COM Add-ins, disabling protected view, changing COM settings in windows and every other troubleshoot method I could find on google, I also tried completelly unninstalling office 365 and downloading it again from office's webpage, but none of that worked. All other office 365 programs are working as intended.

The only way I could get back to work was by downloading the 2013 version of office from the internet. But I don't have an office 2013 license available so it's not licensed and I don't know for how much time it will work I do have an office 365 personal license and I really need it to work. Wanted to contact microsoft directly but couldn't find any number or e-mail so here I am.

If anyone knows anything that could fix this for me, I'd be very grateful.

1 Reply

@Romildo I think some add-ons are creating the issues with Excel. Can you try opening any blank Excel Sheet and from the settings disable all add-ons currently active. If it works great. 

Otherwise to do a data recovery you may open the excel file from Excel Itself and after selecting the file to be opened select " Open and Repair" option which may help you to get some data out of the Excel Sheets. This process will let you extract only text and other data only. All formulas and formatting will be lost in the process. You are advised to keep a back of the Excel File to be on a safer side in case something happens.