Excel weird border question

Copper Contributor

IMG_4608 (002).JPGHi, excel has these weird border issues today that I am unable to find a solution to. I type a number in a cell, it highlights, but when i click away, a balck highlight/border stays there. The border actually stays on the entire row. Hard to explain, not sure if anyone knows the solution. All workbooks, tried re-starting. Photo attached, I apologize for the rotation.

10 Replies

Hi Gabriella,

I don't know the answer, just to clarify - did i understood you correctly what if you open Excel with new workbook (not existing one), and add the number into any cell, this border appears?

Thank you for your reply. Yes. New or existing, all workbooks. It disappears once I click away, for example to a different tab. Reappears every time I add something to a cell.

I have the same problem. It drives me crazy! 

I see, strange. Googled a bit, some people reports the same e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46308435/excel-automatically-adds-borders-when-changing-cell-val...

No conditional formatting, no VBA code. Have no idea what that could be. What i usually do in such situations

- check if the same is in safe mode (Win+R and "excel /safe"). If not when disable add-ins one by one if they affect;

- clean PC (CCleaner or like);

- repair Office

Other steps depends on situation. By the way, could you please attach any of your files where such effect appeared?

Thanks for looking into it. I'm about the wipe my laptop and start over!!

This is not something you can just learn to work with :)

Thanks again !

Quite risky, i'd play with other options first. Anyway, good luck!

Thank you for the response. I'm attaching one of the files. I sent it to my coworker and he had no problem with it.

Hi Ewa,

I also found nothing suspicious in file itself and in it XML structure. Works normally.

Don't think that affect something, removed some properties - please check attached.

Thank you for your help Sergei. I still have the same problem with the files that you send back. It's strange that the borders seem random in thickness and how they appear. When I copy the spreadsheet to Word they disappear. It's really annoying but the Excel still works. I appreciate your help. Please let me know if you think about any other suggestions.