Excel waiting for another application to complete an OLE action - no addons/links/network drives

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Been stuck with this one for a while now - I'm trying to run a vba macro which hooks into a running instance of another program and extracts some data out of it. Unfortunately it keeps throwing the OLE action waiting message (the data still comes through but it's an absolute pain to keep clicking on the OK button).

So far I've tried the following:

- Checked in safe mode

- Reinstalled office

- Checked on DDE (tested by checking it off as well)

- looked through this other thread (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/no-links-vba-addons-but-microsoft-excel-waiting-for-ano...)

- Checked for hidden links using the Inquire plugin (there aren't any).

- Closed internet explorer instances manually via task manager

None of these have helped.

Note that I'm running the excel file off of a local copy (no shared network shenanigans here !)

I'm pretty much at the end of my rope ! Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

5 Replies
Are you using Google Drive and have the desktop app installed? If so, try logging out of the app (File Stream or whatever is the latest name). This workaround did it for me. Not a solution of course.

@Vidish 

How to fix the Excel is waiting for OLE problem

The first solution, of course, is to restart your machine and try again. If the problem persists, try the following workarounds:

1. Activate the option Ignore other applications using the DDE function

Open the Excel table

Go to the File menu

Click on Options

Go to the Advanced tab

Scroll to the General section and enable Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)

Restart Excel

1. Deactivate add-ins

Open the Excel table

Go to the File menu

Click on Options

Click on Add-Ins

Select Excel Add-Ins and click the Go button

Uncheck all fields and click OK

1. Other methods of attaching the Excel workbook

Using the Excel Send Email option can result in the above error. You can send your workbook by attaching it as a file to an email in Outlook or Hotmail, for example. You can use any email application to solve the problem.

If this information helped you, please mark this post as "Correct answer" and click on like (hand with thumbs up), so that other members can benefit from this information later.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

This solution can fix the problem temporarily but not for a long run.

@MuhammadMohsin 

The only thing I can give you with my little knowledge on the way is ..

Use other ways to attach an Excel workbook

The error occurs when attempting to use Excel's “Send by E-mail” option.

So here it is recommended to try other ways to attach the Excel workbook.

Try sending your Excel workbook by attaching it to an email as a file in Outlook or Hotmail or any other email app to resolve the issue.

Well, it is estimated that after following the above given solution, Excel waiting for OLE action error will be fixed. If not, use MS Excel automatic repair tool.*

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of me. I makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@Vidish  Hello I´m facing the same problem, have solved it? I would appreciate if you can shere with me your solution

Thanks