Excel, VisualStudio, VBA, ,NET, which way to go?

Brass Contributor

Good Morning
At the moment I'm developing an excel file with VBA and forms, for human resources management of the company where I work.
I started about 1 year ago with VBA and recording data in excel sheets.
Right now I need to improve file security and I need to use MySQL to save the data, but I don't know where to start this transformation.
I have knowledge of relational databases and I've studied and tested a bit of MySQL. However, I have no idea how to relate MYSQL with Excel.
I didn't want to start from scratch, so I don't know if it's worth deepening my knowledge of Visual Studio and a more advanced visual basic now, or if I'm just using MySQL with the files I already have.
Maybe keeping the files, save some time, but I don't know I will stop having the reliability problems that excel presents in a multiuser environment.
Using MySQL with Excel, does excel become a more reliable multi-user environment?
I'm confused about the steps I should take, considering that I have to continue the development of the files non-stop, and I would like to have help to clarify my doubts. Thank you for your help.

3 Replies

@csoares 

In my humble opinion, one of the programs that would use corporate forms would be Microsoft Forms.

Is very good especially for forms that can be used directly from the web. You can edit online surveys, questionnaires, OneDrive 100%compatible , etc.

A small miracle weapon for an organization / company in everyday professional life.

Even if they arenot Microsoft products, I cannot ignore the fact that Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and / or Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Suite 4 are also silver bullets for forms. For "simple" PDFs, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is very good. Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Suite 4 is very suitable for "dynamic" PDFs.

You can use it to create PDF forms, secure them as required, incorporate electronic signatures in various ways, etc.

The disadvantage, you would have to deal with JavaScript if you want to create dynamic forms.

VBA is not possible.

However, all of this is only my humble opinion, which does not mean that only these solutions are best.

I wish you good luck with your choice.

Thank you for your time and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Good morning, thanks for your answer which also turned out to be very interesting and useful, however I meant "Userforms" from VBA and not "Forms" from Microsoft Forms.

@csoares 

Excuse me, in the heat of the moment I only read the first line and then started to spin.

As far as MySQL is concerned, I am not the one to help you, as my knowledge is very limited in this regard.

Anyway, here is a link with some info on the MySQL database.

MySQL database

Also wish you a lot of success in your project.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)