SOLVED

Excel Version Compatibility

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to support a user who works with o365 Excel 64-bit. She has a worksheet shared with a team who all use Excel 2016 32-bit. Most of the Team update a worksheet held on a cloud server, 2 have a master copy sent for them to download (Those 2 then upload a renamed copy later).

When my user opens the updated document her colleagues have worked on she gets a 'Errors were detected in file' error and the log shows that ***.xml part was <removed> and records from workbook properties are also removed. She doesn't see any of the updates that have been done to the file. Same with the copy from her 2 other colleagues but the master copy can be retrieved and opens correctly.

I'm thinking this could be an issue either between the o365 and 2016 versions and/or 64-bit / 32-bit.

I would be grateful if anyone has encountered this before and could confirm this as something I can work from.

5 Replies
Can you get that user to edit the file using Excel in the browser?

@Jan Karel Pieterse Thank you for your comment. I am in the process of trying to get her to attempt that and also to send me a copy of the problem workbook to test. I will update my post when I get more data.

Received excel workbook copy for testing.

Opened in 32-bit Office 2016.

Encountered error 

CambridgeIT_0-1592828817107.png

Repair removes .xml part relating to PivotTable but there is no PivotTable defined on the sheets.

CambridgeIT_1-1592828985932.png

Attempted to open in o365 Excel web version but cannot as file is encrypted.

Still unable to define a root cause for the issue.

I am willing to take a look if you can send the file to me (and the associated file open password).
best response confirmed by Jan Karel Pieterse (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Jan Karel Pieterse Thank you Jan, a kind offer, but I cannot do that for security reasons (the file holds financial data). A solution has not been found but the issue only arises during frequent shared use. Currently it is working and the user has requested we close the ticket.

I intend to close this conversation... when I can find out how.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jan Karel Pieterse (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Jan Karel Pieterse Thank you Jan, a kind offer, but I cannot do that for security reasons (the file holds financial data). A solution has not been found but the issue only arises during frequent shared use. Currently it is working and the user has requested we close the ticket.

I intend to close this conversation... when I can find out how.

View solution in original post