Excel transpose and merge

Copper Contributor

Does anyone know a function or method in excel of getting data in a state from Illustration 1 to Illustration 2. Transform could be part of the solution but I need a way to consolidate rows and columns at the same time

snip.jpg

8 Replies

@clieboff 

Power Query could help

cool. I've never used before. do you happen to know how that could work and the steps?

@clieboff 

Sure, if only you share sample file instead of screenshot

i updated my post to include. much appreciated.

@clieboff How about a pivot table? See attached.

@clieboff 

Thank you.

- Not exactly necessary, but it's better to transform source data into structures table (Ctrl+L or Cltrl+T staying within it)

- Right click on it and Get Data from Table/Range or Get Data from Sheet or like depends on your Excel version

- in Power Query editor select Service Level 2 column, Transform->Pivot Column, Value as value

- land result into Excel sheet

- adjust formats as needed

Alternatively you may create PivotTable based o  your source, also in attached.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

This is exactly what I was looking for to do!

Two columns with about 850 rows of data, VoterID and the Dates they voted in the last 5 elections. (Voter and Date columns.) The trick was to copy the VoterID and rename it Values, then rearrange columns such that I had VoterID in column A, Dates in column B and Values in column C (a copy of column A).

After creating a Table, I used Pivot using your "sample.xlsx" spreadsheet as an example.

I'm a slow learner, but I eventually got what I needed. Thank you so much for your help and patience!

Make that your "sampledata.xlsx" spreadsheet.