Excel taking forever to launch and very slow

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I'm starting a conversation here since I am out of options concerning my Excel installation. I have installed Office Professionel Plus 2019 (I purchased a license...) and all the apps are working fine except Excel. It's taking forever to launch and is not responsive at all. I click on a cell and it's taking several seconds to get focus. Same when I try to write something in a cell. I'm in a new spreadsheet so it has nothing to do with a complicated spreadsheet.

I tried the following : 

- Safe mode

- Quick repair

- Online repair

- Deactivate all excel plugins

- Delete all my printers (I saw a post suggesting that)

- Uninstall/Reinstall Office completely.

Any suggestion ? Is there any other support form I can fill or website I can go to for support ? 

Thanks !

PJ

7 Replies

I also deactivated hardware acceleration, and all the add-ins, and deleted whatever was on AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Excel

@pjvilloud 

Try this workaround link. I guess it should helps you. 

Thanx for providing the performance traces @pjvilloud! We are investigating the bottleneck. 

thanx,

Prash  

@Prash Shirolkar Is this the official support for Office apps ? If not where can I have more support ?

@pjvilloud - official means to engage Microsoft support would be https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Btw, can you also please check whether updating your Nahimic audio driver (NahimicOSD.dll) to the latest version makes a difference when launching Excel? Analysis of the data you sent our way reveals root cause of the slowness is in us trying to load "NahimicOSD.dll" multiple times unsuccessfully, hence asking. 

thanx,

Prash

@pjvilloud 

I was having this problem and had tried everything I could find on google with no success. The problem was present for several months when I wasn't doing any development work on my extensive VBA macros. I was using many macros during this time but not making any changes to them. One day I decided to make some changes and when I had completed my changes in the VBA editor, I closed it and exited Excel to make sure some ontime statements in a frequently used macro would be updated on startup. When I restarted it by right clicking the file from the taskbar icon I was amazed when the file opened and ran the macro instantaneously just like it used to. I wondered then if it could be possible something about bringing up the VBA editor had resolved the issue.

Everything continued to work correctly until I let windows update do regular updates a week or so later and I found when I started Excel it was exhibiting exactly the same behavior again. I opened and closed it several times to make sure it wasn't a one time thing and discovered the problem was persistent.

To my amazement, after bringing up the VBA editor and changing a forms labels status to visible from invisible just as an action to make an insignificant change to see if the problem had anything to do with bringing up VBA and making changes as I had done before, after saving the file in the VBA editor and closing excel I proceeded to open the file from the list right clicking it from the taskbar and the file opened immediately with no delay!

Is it possible I figured out a way to resolve this incredibly annoying problem simply by opening the VBA editor, making a change, saving the file, quitting and restarting Excel?

It's because like all Microsoft software, it is full of bloatware and crap that no-one uses, therefore it is soo slow too open.

like it forgets that you want full screen all the time and opens in a tiny screen after you have waited half a minute.

And don't even start me on Win 11 (makes Vista look good!).