Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎9/‎10/‎2020
OS build 19042.985
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019
Microsoft Excel 2019 MSO (16.013929.20360) 64 bits
ID: 00414-50000-00000-AA730

My Excel just stopped formatting cells. Even if I select the column and use the format cells command again it does not work. I tried to select one cell and when I chose "format cells" came a dialog box where I could format the font. I am an university professor and use this command a lot to change dates into numbers to grade students by their task delivery date. Can someone help?

1 Reply

@LuisAraujo1948 

Before you go to the link with the individual pages, allow me to recommend that you check if the cell / area / worksheet is / are locked.

Undo automatic formatting in Excel

Sometimes when you’re entering information into a worksheet, Excel automatically formats it in a way you didn’t intend. For example, if you type a web address, Excel will turn it into a hyperlink. This can be really helpful, but there might be times when that’s not what you want. In that case, you can turn off automatic formatting for one cell or your whole workbook.

Edit cell contents

You can edit the contents of a cell directly in the cell. You can also edit the contents of a cell by typing in the formula bar.

When you edit the contents of a cell, Excel is operating in Edit mode. Some Excel features work differently or are unavailable in Edit mode.

When Excel is in Edit mode, the word Edit appears in the lower-left corner of the Excel program window, as shown in the following illustration.

Hope this information was helpful to you.

Nikolino

I know I know nothing (Socrates)