Excel stopped calculating.

Copper Contributor

After a mandatory update last week, Excel stopped calculating when the cell data was changed/edited. On some sheets an option to hard calculate was offered in the tool bar, but not on all sheets.

How do I switch it back to the automatic calculation if data changes?

4 Replies

I'm having the same issue - anyone else? any work-around?

Figured it out! Somehow under File/Options/Formulas - under Calculation Options "Manual" was selected - should be "Automatic" (at least for my needs) hope this helps!!

I have just encountered the same problem (after an update) and used the solution - all OK again after a few minutes of panic.  Thanks to Billy Hughes

I have an excel file that is being used to record measurement results from an automated robot cell. There is no human interaction, but my file randomly stops calculating and running my macros. It might work for 400 parts or 4000 parts, it might stop after 10 minutes or it could run for 10 days, and there's no rhyme or reason that I can find as to why it stops auto calculating but if you press F9 (refresh calculations) it starts right back up and continues to work again (for who knows how long)

Does anyone have an idea why it will calculate and save hundreds of reports automatically with out a single hiccup then just stop working? The computer isn't even connected to the internet so updates shouldn't be involved and the randomness of how long it works 10min/10hr makes trouble shooting difficult

Thanks@Billy Hughes