EXCEL STOCKHISTORY Function General Release

Copper Contributor

By now, it's well-known that the STOCKHISTORY function has been released only for subscribers to MS Office 365.

Does anyone know if and when this function will be released for other versions of MS Excel?  It's a valuable function, but alone it's not worth a subscription license.

I'd appreciate any information that is available.

Thanks,

Wil

5 Replies
There are lots of other functions available that are even more valuable for some users: UNIQUE, FILTER, SORT....LET Do you have those currently? I use STOCKHISTORY, but it is by no means the most valuable part of having the subscription. What are some of your applications of Excel?

@mathetes 

Hi,

I didn't know but am not surprised that there are other functions available in Office 365 that aren't in the permanent licensed versions.  I'm sure that they're useful, but so far I haven't had a need for them.  I spend the majority of my time working on spreadsheets for investors and for tax planning.  The former typically require pulling stock data from the web.  There are a number of workarounds that I've found, but it would be much simpler if MS would open the stockhistory function.  It's there, but blocked.  

Clearly, MS wants everyone on the 365 platform, but it's not practical for many folks.  At least, they have opened the stock data type for their online version of the software, but this doesn't pull historical data.

Thanks for you note.  Wishing you the best,

Wil

@WilRXR 

Wil, as a comment STOCKHISTORY() is avilablabe on Excel Online, nut sure if it is already deployed for all subscribers. But yes, that's 365, even if online.

@Sergei Baklan 

Dear Sergei,

Thank you for your note.  Maybe you are correct that STOCKHISTORY() is available for Excel on-line for some subscribers, but I suspect you mean Office 365, not the Excel on-line that shows up in OneDrive, which, I believe, is what MS calls Excel on-line.  

When I try to us it, I get 

#BLOCKED!

This says to me that it is recognized but not deployed.  The latter is what I've been asking about.

Thanks again,

Wil

@WilRXR 

In general that's all Excel on the Web, and that's all Office 365, now Microsoft 365. The difference is only in subscription - consumer or business one and within them are different variants of the subscriptions. 

I'm not sure, but if BLOCKED that probably means that functionality is exists but not available for your subscription, at least now. 

One time purchase license - yes, functionality is updated once per few year, for one version to another. Excel 2021 is coming this fall, not sure what will be included. And yes, you are right, Microsoft pushes to shift on subscription model, my guess that's much easier to support and that's the main reason. Benefit for the users they always have access to most recent functionality. And that's only the user choice, shifting from most advanced Beta to most stable seldom updated channel and back is free of charge, that's only your choice.

Back to STOCKHISTORY(), from my point of view that's not a Pro tool, data is provided AS IS without any warranty. That's not only Microsoft but data provider issue. IMHO, to have reliable data it's better to connect to any API, for example by Power Query available in any modern Excel. Most probably that will cost some money, but information now costs money.