SOLVED

Excel status bar (Count option)

Silver Contributor

In Microsoft Office support site, there is an article about Excel status bar options, you can access it by using this link:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Excel-status-bar-options-6055ecd9-e20f-4a7a-a611-4481bd488c...

Please, look at the below screenshot, and notice the count option description:

Capture.JPG

In effect, that description isn’t right; since there is no quick option / tool or function in Excel can help you to know the number of selected cells in a range regardless of their content.

The count option works like Counta Function, it’s just count the number of cells that are not empty.

By the way, I sent a feedback to Microsoft about this mistake.

3 Replies

Yes, exactly, 'count' in status bar works as COUNTA and 'numerical count' as COUNT.  To be more precise in the description "...number of selected cells..." is to be changed on "...number of selected non-empty cells..."

But i don't think they will add number of all selected cells into the status bar - here is just quick results of some built-in functions 

Haytham - I'm not sure if this will help but while we are selecting cells the Name Box will display the number of rows and columns selected. As soon as we release the mouse button or Shift key (depending on how select the range) the number of rows and columns selected is replaced with the top-left most cell in the selected range. I tried to capture an image but couldn't. It will be something like 10R x 2C for 10 Rows and 2 Columns.

I used this trick to figure out how many blank rows I needed for a cut/copy until I learned about the key combo

Ctrl & Shift & =

best response confirmed by Haytham Amairah (Silver Contributor)
Solution

By the way, back to initial question - i eventually hover the mouse over the status bar and found what tooltips have the correct description, in opposite to support pages:

StatusBarCount.JPGStatusBarNumericalCount.JPG

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Haytham Amairah (Silver Contributor)
Solution

By the way, back to initial question - i eventually hover the mouse over the status bar and found what tooltips have the correct description, in opposite to support pages:

StatusBarCount.JPGStatusBarNumericalCount.JPG

View solution in original post