Excel Spreadsheets

Copper Contributor

Can I send a spreadsheet via e-mail that the recipient can make changes?

3 Replies

Hi @Terri1965 

By default the workbook is editable, so you  can send it by email or copy it by memory stick and the recipient can changes and update it.

If you you do not want anyone to change you can protect the workbook or worksheet by password.

@Jihad Al-Jarady 

According to the individual receiving the reports, she cannot edit them.  I have a fairly new Mac and there is not  a USB port. I send monthly Excel reports as an e-mail attachment to a large group, and do not want changes made to the reports by just anyone. My tenure as treasurer is up at the end of the year and the incoming treasurer has told me repeatedly she cannot edit the reports, which contain numerous  formulas. I edit them monthly and "Save As..." maintaining the old and new reports.

Is there a specific extension, i.e., PDF, that can be added to the report when sent to someone with authorization to make future changes?

You might need to send a separate version to the new treasurer with password to make changes, provided you protected the copies you share around.