Excel Spreadsheet versus Google Spreadsheets

Copper Contributor

Hello all, 

Forgive me if there is another post on this, but I can't seem to find anything helpful yet. 

Our company has just recently switched to M365, which has been very good in terms of sharing files and creating some structure, but I am still trying to figure out the best way to do a few functions. 

Currently we use google sheets to perform "Verifications" on some of our end users systems. Meaning we have a google sheet made up with a bunch of rows and columns that our users simply just "Click" to check off based on the column. It basically puts a checkbox within a specific cell. 

I am trying to figure out what the best way to make this happen in 365 is, this way all our documents are edited through MS teams in real time, and we control the security of who has access at any given time. The problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to do this effectively, and I am not sure it is even possible. 

I have mainly just tried Excel, but I am open to other suggestions!

1) I can't seem to place a checkbox that is specific to that cell. As in GS I can simply "insert" the checkbox into a cell, and it moves around, duplicates and re-sizes accordingly. 

2) The new spreadsheet needs to have the ability to create multiple checkboxes easily within new rows/columns, based on the sheets needs. 

4 Replies

@NathanLucas 

1) I can't seem to place a checkbox that is specific to that cell. As in GS I can simply "insert" the checkbox into a cell, and it moves around, duplicates and re-sizes accordingly. 

2) The new spreadsheet needs to have the ability to create multiple checkboxes easily within new rows/columns, based on the sheets needs. 

NEEDS?

Is the actual need not more accurately stated as the need to be able to select "True or False," "Yes or No"--which is really the role played by the checkboxes?

Combine that with Data Validation -- ensuring that the reply/entry given by your end users is within the acceptable range of responses -- it seems to me that all that is needed is adapting existing protocols to the new environment. See the attached.

The new spreadsheet needs to have the ability to create multiple checkboxes easily within new rows/columns, based on the based on the sheets needs.

what do you mean?

google sheet can create multiple checkbox by a batch way?

@NathanLucas 

As John was writing his response, he may not have been thinking about possible effects of changing the UI, such as having to update documentation/user manuals.

BTW, a Form Control checkbox in Excel puts a TRUE or FALSE value – not a checkbox (character or image) – into a cell, though that action is not by default. Caption text for the checkbox is optional.

<< 1) I can't seem to place a checkbox that is specific to that cell. >>
What research did you do? (rhetorical question) I did a Google search on "Microsoft Excel how to assign checkboxes to cells" and got relevant hits, including:
How to Insert a Checkbox in Excel (With Examples)
and How to Insert Checkbox in Excel (to Create Interactive Lists and Charts)
(I don't know why those articles used an absolute cell address.)
Is there a way to assign a checkbox to a cell

Unfortunately, as a Form Control checkbox typically needs a "manual action" to be linked, see a related video also in the search results:
Shortcut To Link All Check Boxes To Cells With A Macro In Excel || Excel Tricks

You may or may not want the linked cell to be the cell in which the checkbox control is located.

<< 2) The new spreadsheet needs to have the ability to create multiple checkboxes easily… >>
Then VBA code will have to be written, it seems, and invoked upon some event that happens to the worksheet (dependent upon your design). Does your company have the infrastructure to allow users to safely use (certain) macro-enabled Excel workbooks?  If so, you're good to go till your next question.

Thanks all for your responses. 

This link will get you directly to our google spreadsheet we use. (I hope I can post it) 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YzsJpnG2rJr2-QytX0_ioBCe_UDOPSAnG_kyRXB3tHg/edit?usp=sharing

As you can see, this is much easier in terms of configuration and editing. Our users can simply "insert" new rows or columns, and it will automatically place the checkboxes where desired. Users can easily copy the checkbox from cell to cell, delete, resize, bold, center, you name it. It is a simple "click the box" type of scenario. This spreadsheet can be as detailed as we need, and can increase in rows and columns as we need it. Sometimes these spreadsheets can contain 50 rows, sometimes 1000. 

I have been able to add checkboxes to an excel spreadsheet, but no matter what I do, I can never make it act like this google spreadsheet. I can never make it move and resize with the cell, no matter what I do.