Excel Sort button missing

Copper Contributor

I am working in an excel file setup by someone else with Table banding. Now there is no sort button available on the Data menu. I have tried removing the table banding, and deleting the table headers and turning off filters, but nothing brings back the ability sort.

5 Replies

@hhaines33 

Perhaps the sheet is protected, you may check if right click on sheet name

@Sergei Baklan, no, I can make other changes to the spreadsheet, so it is not protected. 

@hhaines33 

Only some regions could be protected and you can make changes in other. Better to check protected or not in menu. Anyway, I have no other ideas, looks exactly as for protected sheet. Or partially protected, doesn't matter.

@Sergei Baklan , this was an interesting exercise. I protected and then unprotected the sheet. I also set all cells to unlocked. Unfortunately, I still do not have a sort icon.

@hhaines33 

I see, thank you. Hard to say more without the file. At least - is that macro-enabled file or not; is that the same if open file in safe mode; is that for only one worksheet in the workbook or for any one; is that for any place within such sheet or only for some specific ranges.