Excel SORT() and FILTER() functions are missing

Copper Contributor

Hello there,

currently i am searching for the SORT() and FILTER() function in excel. I've read that it should be available in Office 365 Pro Plus. But when i am typing in the function into the cells, there is no recommendation shown to choose the function. Now i have the question, where can I find these functions or how can I activate them? I updated my Office, so it has the latest update and I am also using Excel 2016.

Thank you for your helping!

Best regards

Chris

27 Replies

@Chris2280 ,

Hi Chris,

Only Office365 subscription is not enough, you have to join Office Insiders https://insider.office.com/en-us/ and install Insiders (Fast) build.

@Sergei Baklan 

Hello Sergei,

thank you for your fast response. Unfortunately the link does not work respectivly does not loading. I tried to access over the google link, but it does not work either. Maybe its just the server. But i will try to install the insider (fast) build und hopefully it works.

@Chris2280 , strange, it shall work. Try simply insider.office.com or google "Office 365 insider program". Actually this site gives an information about Insiders program and somewhere it shall be instruction how to join and install insiders version - it depends on your platform and are you on personal or business subscription.

@Sergei Baklan 

The Excel SORT function is one of 6 released in July 2019 to build Version 1907 (Build 11901.20176) but I am on a later build (Version 1908 Build 11929.20300) and I still cannot see these new formulas available.

@Daniel_Engler 

These days build number practically means nothing. It only indicates that starting from this build you have a chance to receive this or that new functionality.

New functionality is deployed gradually by channels. First Insiders Fast, next Monthly Targeted, next Monthly channel, etc. You may have some build on Monthly channel but have no new functionality witch another person on Monthly Targeted received with the same build.

Moreover, gradual deployment is within same channel as well. You may be on the same channel and on the same build with another person, but one of you already have new functionality, another one not.

That could take months to deploy functionality to everyone within same channel. I don't know what is the exact mechanism of deployment, perhaps you receive some registry key when next time login to Office. What is the logic on server side, when and to whom to flick the switch.

1) just join office insider as well, I preferred to join the insider slow, as the FAST Version was very unstable when I tried and messed up some formulas as well.

2) Sadly these functions are being made available in excel, when Google sheets been offering it for free since YEARS, IMPORTRANGE etc...

STABLE AND FORGIVING. Works on windows and Mac OS, Crossplatform.

3) I have a business premium account, but sadly I feel shortchanged as unbelievable features are available in google sheets, and these features though now have been rolled out by Office, but they do not work online when I wish to collaborate with my team, which is very primitive.

They only work on my hard drive office insider slow version.

@Chris2280 

@Sergei Baklan 

I have enrolled in First Insiders Fast with Office 365 subscription and I also see that SORT() and FILTER() are not available.

I encountered the problem when downloading from Google Sheets to Excel.

Any more information on when the functions will be available?

@simondavidmiller 

If you are on Insiders Fast it shall be available. Please check your channel with File->Info->Account->About Excel

image.png

If your channel as above and you have no Dynamic Arrays functionality, send a Frown to Microsoft with File->Feedback

image.png

@Sergei Baklan 

I'm not sure exactly what triggered it, but found FILTER(), SORT() and UNIQUE() to be working in Excel this morning, after signing up as described.

HOWEVER, there's one caveat.

In Google Sheets, where I first discovered FILTER(), I'm able to apply multiple array filters in the form:

= FILTER (A1:A10, A1:A10>0, B1:B10>5, C1:C10>10)

It looks as those Excel's equivalent can filter by one array only.  Is that correct?

Can FILTERs be nested?

@simondavidmiller 

You may use

=FILTER(A1:A10,(A1:A10>0)*(B1:B10>5)*(C1:C10>10))

@Sergei Baklan 

Works!  Thank you.

@simondavidmiller 

FILTER:s could be nested, but not in this logic as you assume. We need to transfer filter context from inner filter to outer filter, perhaps like this (first in mind)

=FILTER(FILTER(FILTER(A1:A10,C1:C10>10),INDEX(FILTER(A1:C10,C1:C10>10),0,2)>5),INDEX(FILTER(FILTER(A1:C10,C1:C10>10),INDEX(FILTER(A1:C10,C1:C10>10),0,2)>5),0,1)>0)

@Sergei Baklan I just bought Microsoft 365 for Mac with Insider Fast and the Filter function is still not available. It says that it will be available to Microsoft 365 subscribers in Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel starting in July 2020.

When do I get this?

@rikrentrop 

To my knowledge deployment is finished at the beginning of August, dynamic arrays shall be available now for all subscription levels on all platforms. Please try to update Office. If won't help send a frown.

@Sergei Baklan I have updated Excel to version 16.41.2008190 and it indicates that it's up to date. 

@rikrentrop 

Sorry, I don't know what's the reason. I'd suggest to send s frown.