Excel Shortcut Keys ctrl+f and ctrl+h now gives the same function?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I just want to know why would microsoft change the function of excel 2016 in pressing ctrl+h (Find and replace)  and have it the same as pressing ctrl+f (Find fucntion)??   The recent update makes the shortcut keys the same.  I mean it is really useful when you can a quickly press keys to find and replace.  Instead they made it the same as find function only which really is really annoying and time consuming for excel advanced users. 

22 Replies

That's known bug. Not sure, people say it's fixed in version 1710 (Insider Fast).

Same problem here. I finally learned the dang shortcut for Replace a few weeks ago and now it doesn't work. GAH!

On Excel Version 1708 Build 8431.2079

I updated couple of minutes ago on 1709.8528.2084, Ctrl+H works now in that build.

How can I make it update? I'm in Excel and went to Account. I see the button for Update Options. I click it, then Update Now but it says "You're Upto Date."  Is there a way to force it somehow?

Michael - i updated as you say, in "normal" way (File->Account->Update now). 

And I'm on Inseders Slow (now Monthly Channel if i remember correctly)

Did anyone manage to work out how to upgrade to 1709.8528.2084? I'm on 1708.8431.2079 and it says I'm all up to date... I regularly use Ctrl+H in my daily work (data cleansing) so this is really frustrating!

Hi Molly,

You are on fresh build for regular users, issued on Sep 18 - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/mt465751

Build 1709.8528.2084 is for Office Insiders (Slow Ring or Monthly Channel) rolled out on Sep 26 - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Update-history-for-Office-Insider-for-Windows-desktop-64bbb...

Thus you have to shift on insiders builds or wait another 2-3 weeks.

Ah okay, guess I'll have to wait for now...

Thanks for getting back to me!

@Molly Botelho wrote:

Ah okay, guess I'll have to wait for now...

Thanks for getting back to me!

You can just go to the account option, then change your account to an insider and then update again. I had the same irritation with the ctrl +f and +h problem but after I updated this was fixed. 

I've looked everywhere and cannot find a button or tile or anything to switch to Insider.  :(

On the Office install page, I do see this, though:

"Note: Your admin has enabled First Release, so you get early access to the latest Office features."

Yet, I'm still on 1708   8431.2079

No thanks on the Office Insider Fast version as I do not have the time or patience for all the bugs and problems this Fast Version caused me

Go to File > Account > under product information there will be choices to manage account, office updates, and then the choice to switch to insider. Once you switch then go back up date

@Michael Cohn wrote:

I've looked everywhere and cannot find a button or tile or anything to switch to Insider.  :(

On the Office install page, I do see this, though:

"Note: Your admin has enabled First Release, so you get early access to the latest Office features."

Yet, I'm still on 1708   8431.2079

Any explanation on how they managed to break the focus of CTRL+H to display replace TAB?

I looked at what was released in Version 1708 (Build 8431.2079) and it definitely wasn't Work faster, get more done!

Just be sure you want to be on the Office Insider Fast version!!!

As I remember shifting on First Release in Admin Center could take few hours

Am I blind?

Switch to insider under the Account is for personal and university customers. For commercial ones as here https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/How-Office-365-commercial-customers-can-get-early-access-to...