EXCEL - Setting default row height in combination with word wrap

Copper Contributor

I am trying to make a more user-friendly worksheet for rapidly entering moderate amounts of data.  My data is in a standard matrix with the fields as columns and the entries as rows.  The default row height is only 15, but for better readability I would like it to be about 25.  Unfortunately, I have to employ word wrap as some fields may contain a longer amount of text than will fit in the column.  And to get all the columns on one screen and avoid having to scroll horizontally, I have to keep their sizes confined.

I have tried using a table and the data entry form it offers (I love it), but my employees all complain that the form size is too small to see clearly, and I haven't found any way (other than blowing up the whole screen size, which limits what will fit on it) to get the data entry form enlarged.  So that's my problem.

4 Replies

@JackWood 

So if I can paraphrase, you want your users to be able to eat their cake and have it too. That about right?

On a serious note, given your description, I find myself wondering what kind of project you're working on and whether (possibly) Excel is the wrong software package. It's forte is not large strings of text; not that it's devoid of ability to work well with text.

I really don't know whether what you're asking is feasible or possible, but if it's not asking too much, could you step back and describe the goals and why you've picked Excel over, say, Word?

@JackWood 

I have a similar challenge with entering text into cells when the amount of text is larger than the default row height.

I've had some success in splitting the text content laterally in the same row, and in a few cases separating the text into logical groups into the next row (or several rows).

When I have a topic with a list of alternative bullets (letters or numbers) below that relate to that specific topic, I can't separate the text content.

The users tell me that the Word format isn't as useful as Excel (I've tried both formats).

The best alternative for me in my project is to set the default row height higher so that "word wrap" simply expands the row height enough to show the contents.

@mathetes 

I have a similar challenge with entering text into cells when the amount of text is larger than the default row height.

I've had some success in splitting the text content laterally in the same row, and in a few cases separating the text into logical groups into the next row (or several rows).

When I have a topic with a list of alternative bullets (letters or numbers) below that relate to that specific topic, I can't separate the text content.

The users tell me that the Word format isn't as useful as Excel (I've tried both formats).

The best alternative for me in my project is to set the default row height higher so that "word wrap" simply expands the row height enough to show the contents.

@Pat_Walsh 

Same question I asked the original poster in this thread: what is the nature of the project or task here? Are you using Excel solely for its nice row and column layout of cells, or are you also using it for calculations, functions, sorting or sifting? Calculations can include text functions as well....

But if all you're doing is entering text and wanting it to look organized, then despite what your users might be saying, it seems to me that Word would be the default: it's far more capable of handling lots and lots of text, and the table format in Word is quite versatile. Each program has its advantages and disadvantages, of course, but I haven't seen anything in what you've written to convince me that Excel is the right choice.