EXCEL RUNS SUPER SLOW

Copper Contributor

I've been having a HORRIBLE time with excel since having to use an excel sheet with macros for a new retail partner. Without using their excel sheet my excel runs slow and it is causing major problems for me. Can someone please advise how to make it run better?

1 Reply

@Zuhuri 

Without accurate information and the file (without sensitive data) one can only make assumptions. Here are some of them... without guarantee :).

Excel macros that protect and unprotect worksheets may run slowly

Symptoms

Macros in Microsoft Excel 2013 run slower than in earlier versions of Excel. For example, you may notice that .xlsm files open very slowly or that it takes a long time to move to the next cell when you enter data in cells.

Cause

Because of a new, stronger hashing algorithm (SHA-512) for encryption in Microsoft Office 2013, macros that protect worksheets and unprotect worksheets run slower if they protect or unprotect several worksheets sequentially.

Resolution

This behavior is by design. It's not noticeable when you're manually protecting a worksheet. However, if you have code that protects or unprotects work sheets repeatedly, this behavior can cause a performance issue.

More Information

The delay is caused by a stronger hashing algorithm (SHA-512) than is present in earlier versions. (The default hashing algorithm to protect files by requiring a password in Office 2010 is SHA1.) This change can cause a performance issue for some Office developers.

you can try with VBA...

instead of VBA try first manual...you could turn it off and try if it got faster.

...How Excel determines the current mode of calculation

Or

...you have to go into the VBA code and turn off the automatic calculation if necessary.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.Calculation = xlManual
End Sub
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic
End Sub

Please note that if you turn off the automatic calculation, the results will be correct after you close and reopen the file.

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Was the answer useful? Mark them as helpful!

This will help all forum participants.