SOLVED

Excel ran out of resources

Copper Contributor

Excel ran out of resources while attempting to calculate one or more formulas. As a result, these formulas cannot be evaluated.

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting the above error message when opening or doing any sort of calculation on any file. It seems others are having the same issue recently. I've tried all of the suggested fixes but nothing seems to work. It started upon opening the worksheet a few days ago without making any changes. Could it have be caused by an update?

Thanks,

Cam

11 Replies
Could you please share with us a screenshot of the error that appears?
This error may have something to do with the way the formulas are written. Are you able to share some of your formulas?

@LuisElCaminanteI get a note "You do not have permission to upload images"

The same formulas have been in use for roughly a year. No changes or additions were made when the error started. Do you think it could still be a formula causing the issue? Just not sure where to start, there are many.

@SeaGreen 

Yes. I've seen this error many times. Often the cause of it is using referencing in formulas that points to entire columns.

For example:
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:Z,10,0)

It could also be the use of volatile functions (INDIRECT, OFFSET, etc.), excessive formatting, and/or a very large 'usedrange' (When you press Ctrl+End on a sheet, where does it go to?).

@Patrick2788 

Ctrl+End does take me well down each sheet (i.e. row 500 - 1000)

That's not bad. It would be a concern if you were taken down to the last row.

@SeaGreen 

Hi, SeaGreen.
This issue looks like the Bug for Excel 2016 version 2210 (Build 15726.20174).
So revert to Version 2209 (Build 15629.20208) and disable Office updates.

1. Start an Office application (such as Excel), and then select File > Account. select Update Options > Disable Updates.
2. Type cmd on the start menu, right click on the Command Prompt, choose Run as Administrator
3. Copy/paste these two commands one at a time and press enter
cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.15629.20208

FYI:

Update history for Office 2016 C2R and Office 2019 
How to revert to an earlier version of Office

--------------------------------------------------

*If you use MSI versions of Office, delete windows update program.

best response confirmed by SeaGreen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@makapuThank you! This solved my issue.

@makapu 

If I take this route to revert back to the older version will it wipe my hard drive? Should I backup all my files before trying this?

Hi,

I am trying to enable this fix and am getting the following Command Line repsonse. I fear I am doing something trivially incorrect.... can some one send a gentle assist?

CRMcD1984_0-1681488110903.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SeaGreen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@makapuThank you! This solved my issue.

View solution in original post