Excel | "We need to fix your account" Alert

Copper Contributor

Hi, I'm new to the community and would really appreciate some help. I use currency and stock exchange values in my workbook on a daily basis. The values get updated using the "Currencies" and "Stocks" buttons located in the Data ribbon so that Excel automatically gets me the latest values from the internet. (I hope you know what I mean by this). But lately I get an alert / error every time I try to add a new currency or stock to my lists. The error says MS needs to fix my account and that I should sign out and back into my account to fix the problem. I've done that multiple times but still get the same error. I spoke to tech support for 90 min while re-installing all of my MS Apps. (I use a Mac). None of that worked. Finally I was advised to post my problem on this forum. Has anyone experienced the same problem and knows how to fix it?

I appreciate the help.

Regards, 

7 Replies

@Daru_Pret 

I have experienced the same problem and have fixed it once. But it recurred and hasn't been amenable to repair going through those same steps. For the time being I'm just living with it. But I'll be interested in seeing if others have been successful in getting a fix to stick.

I have the same problem  @Daru_Pret 

Managed to set up links to stock tickers in Excel online but after downloading and opening the file on my Mac and hitting refresh I get the same error. Before getting this error I was unable to even see the Data Types in the ribbon and had to reboot in safe mode to fix that. This is all on a brand new M1 Macbook Pro with only the Apple proprietary software thats installed from factory on it. The stock update feature is the only reason I bothered to purchase Excel today. Back to doing everything manually again I guess and apply for a refund

I have the same problem. when using Excel Online (the browser version at Office.com), the stock quotes update normally. The (locally installed) Excel application (on my Mac) continues to give this problem.

I have the same issue> Working on a Mac and have not been able to resolve. I've tried the following with no success:

1. Completely uninstalled all office apps...completely. Not just dragging them to the trash, but deleting all associated files in hidden libraries.
  2. Downloaded and reinstalled office 365.
  3. Same issues - "We need to fix your account. Select Microsoft Excel from the top menu > Sign Out. Then sign back in with the account associated with a subscription."

Certainly there must be a fix. Microsoft team?

I've noticed (I have access to three Macs) that this Stock function works on the Macs with "Intel inside" but not on the newer M1-based Mac. Is that consistent with some of the rest of your experiences?
Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the replies. Just wanted to let you know that I have managed to fix the problem on my spreadsheet. I originally used macro's within the workbook. I later removed/deleted the macro's, but my spreadsheet kept on asking me whether or not I wanted to enable the macro's every time I opened the sheet. Out of habit I always clicked on Enable Macro's. One morning I clicked on Disable Macro's and the problem was fixed. I hope this helps some of you who has experienced the same problem.
the newest version fixed the problem for me.