Excel question

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to find out if there is an IF formula for 3 cells in a column (I know how to do one for 2 cells but not 3). Also, they all need to be interdependent, that is if I change any to T (true) or F(false) the other two will change (to the opposite of what they are). Please help me find out if there is such a formula.

thanx,

Neo

2 Replies

@nemanjapoluga 

This is considered a nested IF statement. Based on what you are trying to calculate, the IF formula setup would change. For instance, we can combine OR or AND statements to simplify the formula. 

Can you provide an example of how your data is set up and what you want the IF statement to show

@nemanjapoluga 

In general it is possible to write a formula to accomplish virtually any logical outcome. It is necessary, however, to spell out more completely what it is that you're trying to do here.

Could you possibly do that, spelling out this challenge more completely, ideally with an attached spreadsheet showing your own attempts, but more importantly giving an example or two of what three cells might contain, how they might change, what then you'd want the ultimate result to be.

IF you want to keep working on your own, which is fine--even recommended--I'd suggest looking into the IFS function, which covers multiple conditions more comfortably than does nesting a series of IF functions. Here's a website that might help: https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-ifs-function