Excel question

Copper Contributor

Hello.  From a spreadsheet, I have calculated the percentage of answers for each category rating that we have within the company.  However, we have goals that we would like to achieve (70, 20, 10).  Is there a formula that would take the current information and tell me how many ratings we would need to achieve a specified percentage?  

For example, rating "a" is currently 3% but we would like for this number to be 5%.  We have 667 entries total. So how many more of the 667 would we need to make a rating of "a" to = 5%?

4 Replies

Hello @Stephanie0412,

If 3% of the 667 entries are rating "a", then this equates to about 20 entries equal to rating "a".
If 5% of the 667 entries are rating "a", then this equates to about 33 entries equal to rating "a".

Thus the difference would be, an additional 13 entries should upgrade to rating "a".

For x%, that would be 667*(x%-3%)

@Stephanie0412 

Hi Stephanie,

3% x 667 = 20, so you have 20 "a" answers.

5% x 667 = 34 (rounding up). The difference gives you the answer of 14.

If you want to vary the "Goal" percent, you can format a cell to be %, say cell b1.

You can use algebra minus a countif equation, =(b1*667)-countif(a1:a667,"a") or just plain math

=(b1*667)-(b2*667), placing the 3% number in b2. You can use a counting formula to get to the 667 if that varies as well.

Thank you!

@Stephanie0412 

My pleasure!