SOLVED

Excel Question: Daily Update data next to a date cell

Copper Contributor

Hey everybody,

I got a question, doesn't leave me calm for hours:

I want to make an excel table where I can daily update some data in fact I wanna have one column filled with dates and another one right next to it, where I can daily add new data. That's not a problem, but now I wanted to make an overview, where it automatically shows today's data so that I manually add new data every day(next to the cell with the current date) and Excel automatically updates the data in the overview. 

That's what I think how it should work:)

=IF Cell XY = today(); take the data next to this cell

Thanks a lot in advance 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Anton2020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Anton2020 

I've attached a spreadsheet that shows two ways to accomplish this. (One delightful feature of Excel is that there are often multiple ways "to skin a cat."

=VLOOKUP(A2,A12:B41,2,0) does it by looking up the value next to the date in the table of data.

=FILTER(B12:B41,A12:A41=A2,"empty") uses a newer function (FILTER) which is only available if you have the newest version of Excel. This function can be more powerful if you have several values with the same date, and want them all to show. Or by refining and adding more criteria, you can focus on specifics more easily.

thank you so much! that's exactly what I needed.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Anton2020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Anton2020 

I've attached a spreadsheet that shows two ways to accomplish this. (One delightful feature of Excel is that there are often multiple ways "to skin a cat."

=VLOOKUP(A2,A12:B41,2,0) does it by looking up the value next to the date in the table of data.

=FILTER(B12:B41,A12:A41=A2,"empty") uses a newer function (FILTER) which is only available if you have the newest version of Excel. This function can be more powerful if you have several values with the same date, and want them all to show. Or by refining and adding more criteria, you can focus on specifics more easily.

View solution in original post