SOLVED

Excel Project Gantt Chart: Adding Milestone Diamond

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am trying to put a diamond shape in my excel project from: How to Make the BEST Gantt Chart in Excel (looks like Microsoft Project!) - YouTube

On 9:21.

Can someone please help me why this is not working? ↓

Capture2.PNG

15 Replies

@DavinAinebyona 

It looks like the Wingdings font is not installed or damaged on your computer.

You can try the Symbol font, turn on Num Lock, and press Alt+0168 using the number keypad.

If you're willing to use a bullet instead of a diamond, set the font to the standard font of your worksheet (probably Calibri or Arial), turn on Num Lock, and press Alt+0149 using the number keypad.

I have tried that but it doesn't seem to be working.
And I have tried it on multiple computers.

@DavinAinebyona 

I have attached a sample workbook. This is what I see in it:

S2311.png

What do you see when you open it?

The same thing. I don't understand why it isn't working for just the Gantt chart

@DavinAinebyona 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar? Alternatively, you can attach it to a private message to me. Thanks in advance.

best response confirmed by DavinAinebyona (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@DavinAinebyona 

I have received the workbook. The problem was not in the character, but in the formula.

The formula in J6 should be

=IF(J$4=$E6-WEEKDAY($E6,13)+7,"u","")

with the font set to Wingdings. Fill to the right and down. See the attached version.

Thank you soo much!

I am also struggling with getting milestones on my chart and I can't seem to figure out what isn't working. Would you be able to help me ? @Hans Vogelaar 

@annalw 

I have replied to your private message.

@Hans Vogelaar 

Can you help with mine please? I have copied your formula as well as others but it still wont work. 

Thank you  

@Bubblesgoc 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?

@Bubblesgoc 

Thanks. The dates in row 3 are Sundays, so you have to adjust the formula for that. In I5:

=IF(I$3=$E5-WEEKDAY($E5,2),"u","")

And the font of I5:CI46 should be set to Wingdings.

See the attached version.

Thank you so so much Hans i have been at this all night. So thank u

@DavinAinebyona 

A different approach.  This formula spills from cell J6 and generates a couple of unicode characters.

= IF(FLOOR(timeline - taskStart, 7), "", start) &
  IF(FLOOR(timeline - taskEnds, 7), "", milestone)

image.png 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DavinAinebyona (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@DavinAinebyona 

I have received the workbook. The problem was not in the character, but in the formula.

The formula in J6 should be

=IF(J$4=$E6-WEEKDAY($E6,13)+7,"u","")

with the font set to Wingdings. Fill to the right and down. See the attached version.

View solution in original post