Excel Project comparing two files

Copper Contributor

I have a project Can you please help me to understand the question.

a new spreadsheet that will show which columns from file2 should be used to update the corresponding columns from file

a separate tab in file2 with pivot tables on it which will show:

• distribution (quantity) of the unique BC_ID by Postal State, sorted descending;
  • quantity of unique BC_ID opened in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 by year – column Open Date.
5 Replies

@wendywo 

Is this a homework assignment for a course you're taking? It sounds like it. In which case, don't you think you should be researching it more on your own?

Yes I just need help to understand. Especially for the first question I am not asking somebody to do everything. I just need a guide to show me the way

@wendywo 

You will need to become familiar with some of the various functions that enable you to take something like an ID from one record in one file and go using that ID to lookup the values in another sheet.

You might want to familiarize yourself, therefore, with 

XLOOKUP

INDEX and MATCH used together

VLOOKUP

and maybe a few others. 

Here's a website that offers good examples on those and a myriad of other functions in Excel. https://exceljet.net

Thank you for your help but I need some answers specific to the my project

Those were intended to be specific to your project. They're (to the extent I understand the project) the Excel functions that would apply as starters. Given that it's a course assignment, you'll learn more through digging around and trying things out...the assignment presumes a fair degree of familiarity with Excel, and maybe that you and your fellow students have some manuals and reference works.