Excel - problem

Copper Contributor

Hello,
I have a problem with Excel 2019. Computer i7 16GB RAM and very often I have the message that "Not enough memory to finish this action"
What can you do about it?

7 Replies
I had memory problems (crashing, Hanging and memory error messages) until I switched to the 64 bit version of Excel. Make sure you have a 64 bit version of Excel loaded.

The easiest way to check which version of Excel (32.64 Bit) is?@Nauthstar 

@GregJas 

Open Excel, go to File --> Account --> Manage Account.

Thank you very much, however, I have 32Bit. Will I be able to install 64Bit versions on my legal license (key)?@Nauthstar 

Regards.

@GregJas 

Check that you have Windows 64 bit.  Usually found  using START --> SETTINGS --> SYSTEM --> ABOUT.  It should give you the screen attached - See picture. 

If that is 64 Bit then you should be able to go in to Excel, make sure all other Microsoft products are closed, then from Excel you should be able to select FILE --> ABOUT --> MANAGE ACCOUNT.  

It should give you the option to INSTALL OFFICE.  Choose this option.  If your licence does not permit this (because it's a standalone version?) then you won't be able to go any further.  However, it should permit it as you can't run both versions on the same pc/laptop.  Therefore, you should be able to load (or reload) MS Office 32 bit or replace it with the 64 bit version. 

Choose 64 bit and it will automatically download and install the 64 bit version (or give instructions for replacing the 32 bit version by removing that version first)  Once complete, all your existing files will open and you won't have any more memory errors.   PS Make sure you take a copy of your Excel files onto OneDrive or some other place on your hard drive.  

@Nauthstar 

Cool! I have the Windows 64 Bit version ;) Tumrrow i will uninstall the 32Bit version and install the new 64Bit. Thank you very much for your help.

Good luck! It solved my memory problems, it should solve yours.
Kind regards