Excel Print Area Changing On Its Own?

Copper Contributor

Hi all, 

I thought I was crazy, but I finally documented this! 

For work I have an employee onboarding checklist made using Excel. I want this checklist to be printable, so I formatted it to be just skinny enough to no bleed into pages sideways. I use Excel's Page Layout view when doing this. 

Now, some days I open up this file, the print area width is from column A to column J. Then I close and reopen the file a week later, and the print area width is now from column A to column I. 

It happens about once a week. I open the file for some random reason (usually to share edit or share it) and notice that my formatting is either too skinny for the page or too wide to fit. I have to edit this over and over again, and it's very frustrating. 

And as far as I can tell, this print area change happens to all my excel files at the same time. Sometimes all my Excel's print area goes to J, and other times they all go to I (again, with me changing nothing myself between these times). 

How can I stop this from happening? 

(Trying to upload screenshots but apparently I don't have permission to upload images, sorry.)

1 Reply
Sounds as if your default printer in Windows changes?