SOLVED

Excel partially unresponsive / or not UI not updating

Bronze Contributor

Hello, I've got a couple of finance users that are experiencing the following Excel 2016 (C2R) issues.

While working in Excel (and probably doing nothing special) the UI suddendly stops "working correctly". Most of the UI elements disappear and also the mouse icon is visible, but clicks or selections are not "drawn" on the screen, but the UI elements, like "quick save" respond properly to mouse clicks. 

I've managed to grab a screenshot of this. Technically nothing special is happening in the background, Excel CPU usage jumps up and down, but not really to 100%. Resource Monitor didn't show anything out of order as well. Since the app is not really hanging, there are not Event Viewer entries either.

excel-unresponsive.jpg

5 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Ivan,

may be disabling the hardware graphics accelaration could help. I found this thread on MS Answers with a similar problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10/excel-2016-office-365-use...

Best,

Mourad

Thanks, I didn't even knew there was hardware acceleration in Office.

I will give this a try on Monday and update this thread.

Hi, we are looking at finding a Repro for this. 

What version and built are you on? Did you get all the latest updates, and did this fix it?

Thanks,

Olaf

I will have to check the installed build number next week at the users computers.

Disabling GPU Hardware Acceleration seem to work out, at least the user hasn't complained since. 

Happy it worked, but love to still find out how it happened so we can fix it. 

If you can find a repro (in the latest built) let me know.

Olaf

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Ivan,

may be disabling the hardware graphics accelaration could help. I found this thread on MS Answers with a similar problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10/excel-2016-office-365-use...

Best,

Mourad

View solution in original post