Excel operates very slowly and stops responding constantly, how to fix?

Copper Contributor

I downloaded Microsoft office 365 today, alongside all of its applications, and I am having trouble opening and using Excel. I tried opening all other Microsoft Office softwares, such as Word and PowerPoint, and they all work flawlessly. However, Excel takes much longer to open up than the other softwares, and even when it does open up it stops responding after every button I click.

I have tried following the Microsoft excel not responding guide, but it has not fixed my issue. Is there anybody who might have an idea on how to fix this issue.

I'll list what I have tried doing to fix Excel:
- Uninstalling, and reinstalling Office 365
- Used Apps and Features to try and repair Office 365 (Both Quick and Online Repair)
- Tried running Excel in Safe mode to see if it were to run properly, it does not
- Tried deleting XLSTART found at C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel (I kept a back up the file somewhere else)
- Disabling Hardware Graphic Acceleration in the options
- Checking for Windows update

If anybody has any suggestions on how to fix this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.
P.S. I am running Windows 10, and I am using the latest version of Excel

Thanks.

2 Replies

@Justin_R 

I had an experience. If the excel file is located in Google Drive File Stream, the performance will be down-graded. As the file I am using contains a lot of macros, sometimes it will prompt a dialog box saying that "Excel is waiting for OLE connection" (something like that, I forgot the exact wording). 

Another suggestion is the calculation. In case the file contains a lot of formulas (OFFSET/COUNTIF) and the calculation mode is automatic, it will also slow down the operation. 

@Man Fai Chan 

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately however, my problem is not solely related to a single excel file, but the entire program itself. The problem begins before the loading of any file and persists to happen after any file is loaded.

If I do not find a better solution, I think the only solution I have left is to recover my storage drives to before the installation of all my softwares and reinstall everything.