Excel Online Conditional Formatting - Unable to Edit Existing Rules

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a file that was originally created in Excel Desktop. We are wishing to move the file to only online to prevent change/version errors.

The conditional formats that were created on desktop work after the upload to Excel Online.

Once in Excel Online I can go to Conditional>Manage Rules > which then opens the current rules in a right side bar.

The problems is I can't click on them to Manage/edit them. The only option that appears is to Trash them.

Please tell l me that there is a way to actually edit them?

I also do not see New Rule.

Does this mean that I can not even create a new custom Conditional Format with a custom color online?

Sidebar: If neither of these are possible, I honestly don't understand how MS is so behind Google Docs. I just double checked after uploading the same file to Sheets and I can both edit the exiting conditional rules and create a new one with a custom color, not just Red, Yellow Green.

I really hope it's User Error and I'm doing something wrong. 

14 Replies

@MarcusAD1979 

Excel for Web

Office for the web service description

Excel for the web (formerly Excel Web App) extends your Microsoft Excel experience to the web browser, where you can work with workbooks directly on the website where the workbook is stored.

All customers can view and lightly edit Office files using Office for the web.

Office for the web, for a program that is "free", it can do a lot more than it costs.

I can't compare it to Google sheets, Excel for web is a software pumped full of steroids :)).

It's like comparing a booster to a hand-operated machine :)).

Excel is the most beautiful invention for me... since chocolate has existed :)).

PS. I am in no way affiliated with Microsoft, directly or indirectly in any form.

Hope I was able to help you with the info/link.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Nikolino,
I love Excel as well and prefer it which is why I choose to move this file to Excel Online instead of Google Sheets. But if the same file has more functionality on Google Sheets, I will likely have to move it there.

I don't see how Google Sheets is providing two functions that MS Excel for the web is not, for the same price, Free.

And honestly I don't see Excel online as being fully free for those that already own desktop copies of MS Office. The main problem I see with this is that people who use MS Excel, and pay for it, should not have less functionality than people who use Google Sheets when they wish to have a file on the cloud.

@MarcusAD1979 
Hi I can confirm it is some type of bug. 
I can see edit in some documents but other users can not. 

Still trying to figure out how to fix this.

@winters80 

Excel Blog

Subscribe to the Excel Blog to get the latest product announcements and updates

--------------------------

As far as I know, conditional formatting is not possible in Excel for web.

You can call this, but conditional formatting was not possible until recently.

But with Excel for web, panta rhei (ancient Greek πάντα ῥεῖ, everything flows ‘).

Today it is not possible, tomorrow it will be different.

It evolves as does its users.

If you have problems with your Excel for web, or think that the software is not working correctly,

this is the right place to have this confirmed or get tips on how to resolve the problem.

If I may recommend adding a file (without sensitive data) with your concerns,

describe your concerns in detail on the basis of the file.

A detailed description of the Excel version and the operating system are an advantage.

Thank you for your patience and understanding

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@winters80 

Manage rules now available in Excel Online

image.png

but so far you can only check them and delete. Adding new rules and editing is coming.

@Sergei Baklan 
Thank you.
However I am only talking about editing. I have one account that is SharePoint admin with site collection access, with this account I can edit the colours on the CF.
The second account has the same permission and to the file. With this account I can only delete the CF.

The file creator can only delete the CF and not set colours on CF.

Trying to find out why only one account can do this when all the rest has the same permissions. 

@winters80 

Usually people with same subscription in same tenant have same set of functionality except targeted users who receive new functionality first. If your first account is in targeted users list that's normal situation. If not I'd send a frown and/or open support ticket.

@winters80I can confirm identical behavior. Same file and same access permissions in SharePoint, but one user can create new rules, and edit existing, while other user can only delete. The first user is a global admin (like your site collection admin). The second user is the file's creator.

Did you ever figure out the reason? Anything with release schedule preferences? condfmt.png

@tekhnik 

Does the person who can edit is in the list of targeted users?

Dear Sir,

Please see the below table. 

NAME COCACOLA HOSLICS ICE CREAM BISCUITS
KADAPA 100 25 10 68
HYDERABAD 41 53 57 94
KARIMNAGAR 42 69 38 28
VIJAYWADA 19 91 73 37

I need to excel  formula is  below as per below table please confirm the same.

NAME COCACOLA HOSLICS ICE CREAM BISCUITS
KADAPA 100
KADAPA 25
KADAPA 10
KADAPA 68

@Malleshg0072035 Hi, this involves a bit of work. Just follow the steps below:

1. In cell A8, type NSA2, and in Cell B8 type NSB2

nidhiachhaa9_0-1628256919155.png

NS is just 2 random alphabets, now you need to use the find and replace option. Find "NS" and replace with "="

nidhiachhaa9_2-1628257026401.png

You will get your answer as:

nidhiachhaa9_3-1628257086084.png

So basically what we are doing is referring to the cell addresses and getting the answer. This shall be quicker method to use

@Malleshg0072035 

1) that is separated question, much better to start new thread in such case.

2) Much better if you provide sample file instead of numbers within post

3) In general that's job for Power Query - query the table, select name and unpivot other columns

image.png

Our entire tenancy is on standard release, but I am enabling targeted to the non-edit user to see if they get the capability, in which case i will assume the edit-allowed user may have had targeted enabled in the past.
Dear Sir,
Thanks for your replying.
Regards
Mallesh