Excel on Mac Frequency and Histogram

Copper Contributor

Microsoft Excel for Mac

Version 16.56

I am trying to complete an assignment for STATS and I am required to create a histogram. These are the directions:

1. In one of the columns near the data, create a label called “Bins” and enter these numbers in the cells under that heading: 30, 35, 40, 45, etc., up to 80.
  2. In the column next to the Bins column, use the COUNTIFS function to fill in the “Frequency” counts for each bin. For the first bin, the formula will be the count of all values less than the starting value of the second bin:   =COUNTIFS([select data," <[starting value of second bin]")   Example: = COUNTIFS(A:A, "<30")
  3. For the rest of the bins, use COUNTIFS statements to get the correct frequency counts. The statement asks for the range you want to count within.So the first parenthetical statement will be everything less than the ending value of the last bin, and the next parenthetical statement will be everything higher than the starting value of the next highest bin. Example: = COUNTIFS(A:A, ">34", A:A "<40")  For the last bin, the values will include everything greater-than the last number:  =COUNTIFS([select data],”>[starting value of second bin]”)   Example: = COUNTIFS(A:A, ">80") Be sure to total the frequency counts to be sure that the formulas captured the total number of data points.
  4. To generate the histogram, highlight the counts in the “Frequency” column of the frequency distribution table
  5. Click on the Charts tab and select Column >2-D Column: Clustered Column . (Remove the “Series1” data label by clicking it and hitting Delete).
  6. To get the correct bin labels on the horizontal axis, right-click anywhere on the chart and go to Select Data . Click on the small box to the right of the “Category (X) axis labels.” This allows you to select the cells that will be used to label each bin. Highlight the bin labels in the frequency distribution table and hit Return. Then hit OK .
  7. Histograms shouldn't have spaces between the bars, so next doubleclick on the bars in the chart so that they are all highlighted, which will open the “Format Data Series” box. Under Options , change the “Gap width” to be 0%. Then hit OK .
  8. Before closing the Format Data Series window, click on Line and choose Solid , and set the color to black.I have bolded what I do not understand. How do I find these functions and what does the question translate to? I keep on getting an error saying I have entered too few arguments for the function.Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.47.47 PM.png

 I can't share the doc so here is the all the info it has on it.

0 Replies