Excel Numbering sequence issue

Copper Contributor

I am trying to number a spreadsheet with the following format (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3). However when I do a sort by it jumps my numbers around. For example if I use 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc. when I sort it places the 1.10 under 1.0. How do I stop that from happening without changing the number format to 1.00, 1.01, 1.02, etc.  Thank you for any assistance! I greatly appreciate you!

6 Replies
That is because you have those "numbers" inserted as text and excel is sorting them as text
I have 2 suggestions for you:
a) create a helper column that actually uses the numbers and use that for sorting
b) use a space instead of a "0" so then 1.1 looks like 1. 1 which is pretty good (IMHO) and will sort the way you want (tip: don't forget to add a space before the first digit so when you get to 10.x it will sort correctly)
Hi mtarler,
Thank you! Unfortunately, it is still placing 1.10 under 1. 0. :(
ok maybe your space is different than mine. lol.
by any chance is your 1.10 entered as a number while the 1. 0 is text?
try entering '1.10 that ' will force it to be text.

@Soraiya 

If texts with spaces as @mtarler suggested when it shall be the prompt

image.png

Selecting bottom option

image.png

@mtarler 

Thank you! That did it!  Woohoo!  I appreciate all your help! Thank goodness I can now finish my spreadsheets! 

Thank you Sergei! It is finally acting like I wanted it too. :) I appreciate your assistance. Between you and @mtarler i was able to get it formatted correctly.